Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrow spead of foot pound of energy

Old 04-29-2010, 08:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

I shoot a Gold Tip xt hunter.
You are shooting an under spined arrow. There isn't a shaft in the Gold Tip "hunter" line up that is spined properly for any of the Mathews Monster bows. In the "hunter" line the stiffest they make is the 75/95 which is a .340 spine. If you are shooting 55/75's then you are severely underspined as these are .400 spine. As OHbowhunter said, you need to be shooting a 300 spine shaft out of the monster. The only arrow in the Gold Tip line that would provide you with a stiff enough shaft would be the Gold Tip big game shaft which would be a .280 spine.

now when you talk arrow weight, when you say +500 grain arrows, are you talking just the arrows weight or with the broadhead?
We are talking about total arrow weight with inserts, fletchings, wraps, nocks, and broadheads.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by OHbowhntr
BM,
If you're really that good, you should be shooting professionally. Not 1% of archers are capable of consistently putting 3 arrows in the 10spot at 60yds, maybe not even 1% of a %.

What arrows are you shooting??? Are you sure they are 400 grains or are they 400 spine arrows??? You don't need anymore energy, that's the last thing you should be concerned about. More realistically, a heavier arrow would slow you down a little, but it would also quiet the bow down. If you're shooting something with a severely weak spine (that set-up really needs a .300 spine or stiffer) you'll know real quickly when you put BH's on the end of arrows because they're gonna fly RIGHT of your FP's.
On the internet we can!!! Braden Gallenthien holds the FITA record with 30 arrows in the 10 ring at 70m. He's the only one to ever due it in comp. Most cant do it at 50...
Old 04-30-2010, 06:43 AM
Spike

@drockw and @OHbowhntr. I said I am comfortable shooting up to 60 yards as I can hit a 10 ring at 60 with all 3 arrows.I never said I do it 100% of the time. I practice alot and I can hit it enough or close enough, given a nice broadside shot with good weather conditions, I would take the shot. I know I am not a pro, I would be asking my fellow hunting brothers on my situation if I was pro.
Now after that, what arrows do you all suggest I buy or look into? I buy a dozen arrows at a time, 6 veins(If it is raining or snowy) and 6 w/ feathers for the good days. I use 100 grain Carbon Express F-15 mechanical but are considering going to a Grim Reaper. Should I go up to a heavier broadhead as well?
Old 04-30-2010, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

Even if you are that good, the time it takes to get to the animal is a long time, in deer time! I can hit a kill every time at 50yds and have taken animals further than that. I have also shot a deer at 50yds that was standing still, with no wind, perfect shot at quartering away angle. Before the arrow got there the deer decided it was time to move on and didn't havest that animal. And yes some can hit that far with a ft. try with a broadhead! I also agree with the heavy weight arrows.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Times have changed

The old timers weren't as excited about so much speed. I guess they knew the bow and arrow wasn't as fast as a 30-06 rifle.

I guess some of the youngins would ban the discharge of some of those old slow bows.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

this is true, a target vs game is no comparison...
i have seen deer jump the string at 35 yards. targets dont do that...
just because you can hit a target at 50 yards 3 times in a 10" circle, dont mean yer gonna hit any game at that distance..and that goes for 15 yards too. are you practicing with your broadheads?
i would suggest you take a few pins outta your sight and go back to maybe 40yards and try not to shoot anything past 35.
so changing your gear would be nil and void. jmo
Old 04-30-2010, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Buckmaster2446
@drockw and @OHbowhntr. I said I am comfortable shooting up to 60 yards as I can hit a 10 ring at 60 with all 3 arrows.I never said I do it 100% of the time. I practice alot and I can hit it enough or close enough, given a nice broadside shot with good weather conditions, I would take the shot. I know I am not a pro, I would be asking my fellow hunting brothers on my situation if I was pro.
Now after that, what arrows do you all suggest I buy or look into? I buy a dozen arrows at a time, 6 veins(If it is raining or snowy) and 6 w/ feathers for the good days. I use 100 grain Carbon Express F-15 mechanical but are considering going to a Grim Reaper. Should I go up to a heavier broadhead as well?
I wasnt basing my statement at you bro, more so just commenting in general on OHb's post, so no hard feelings

As far as the arrow goes, I would find something with a MINIMUM of 300 spine. As far as the bh goes, I would stick with 100gr. No need to go heavier when you are already probably going to be underspined with the 300 anyways at your DL.

I'd suggest an Axis arrow with 100gr up front, but thats just me... An FMJ 300 would put you at about 500gr. They are really great arrows in my experience.

You seriously will have NO need for any extra energy regardless of where you hit the deer. You will easily get the penetration needed(likely with a pass through) even if you shoot a deer square in the shoulder.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:03 AM
Spike

@drockw, sorry if I seemed like an a$$, no hard feeling here. I know that deer and targets are two different things, one is foam and one is alive and moves. I practice all the time with my broadheads. My wife gets pissed cuz i go through so many targets. I have yet to shoot a deer at 60 more if a coyote comes out, i dont have to guess again. thanks for all the help I think I know what I want to do.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it's an XT 7595, it's only a .340 spine, if it's a 5575, it's only a .400 spine, and that's really bordering on dangerous...(see pic below .... Either one of them is probably in the 400gr range give or take 15gr., WITH the 100 gr tip.

After what was said above, I'd honestly still find it difficult to believe that you're really shooting that well at 60yds, especially if you're shooting the 5575, because they are such a weak spine they aren't going to fly worth a damn out of that set-up. But hey, it's the internet and it's your story, only you really know, not worth making an issue. A 400-ish grain arrow of either of the XT's will fly VERY fast but also erratically out of the given set-up considering the spine. You're looking for advice, I'll offer up a little not to far from what you've already gotten.

What would probably work best for you is something inthe .300 or stiffer spine category with a 125 gr tip to give it Front-of-Center (FOC) to help direct it a bit. Even in a .300 spine, you may find you get some arrows trying to fly right, if so, back the limbs out a little, as you're gettting a WEAK spine reaction, and see if that helps any. If you're not familier with FOC, do a quick search, and you'll find lots of information. A higher FOC arrow flies much better than a lower FOC arrow in my experience, and results in much better consistency. The difference in a High FOC and low FOC arrow is like the difference between and plastic dart and a REAL dart.

Originally Posted by Buckmaster2446
@drockw, sorry if I seemed like an a$$, no hard feeling here. I know that deer and targets are two different things, one is foam and one is alive and moves. I practice all the time with my broadheads. My wife gets pissed cuz i go through so many targets. I have yet to shoot a deer at 60 more if a coyote comes out, i dont have to guess again. thanks for all the help I think I know what I want to do.
In a hunting scenario, especially whitetail, I try to keep my shots under 40, even in GOOD conditions. Deer have remarkable reaction times, and can do some amazing things between the time you shoot and the time the arrow gets there. I punched one in the head in '08 on a 40-42yd. shot that looked perfect when I released it. Lesson learned, if the deer even looks SEMI-ALERT, don't shoot that far. Fortunately, she dropped like a ROCK, but the outcome could have been very, very bad. Take that bit of advice for what it's worth, I was only shooting a 280-ish fps set-up out of a VERY quiet bow, and those were still my results.

If you're going through targets like that, spend some money and get a GOOD target, a Rhinehart 18-in-1, Morrell Outdoor Range, or something of the like. My Morrell has somewhere near 25,000 shot or so on it I'd guess, and only maybe a couple dozen pass-throughs and that was because I needed to "re-fluff" it.

As for SPEED, really anything over about 250fps is plenty, and the heavier arrows will be QUIETER and result in less shock, helping make your stuff stay tuned better, and last longer. Sadly, what many don't realize about SPEED is that the FASTER a BOW is the STIFFER SPINED arrow it needs which means it's going to need a heavier arrow......end result, that SPEED you thought you were going to get doesn't end up being there because to get it to tune well, you find you end up needing a STIFF, HEAVY arrow that absorbs up a lot of that speed you thought you were going to get. Granted, a HEAVY arrow (500gr +) coming out of that set-up will go through the engine block of a CAT, but it ain't gonna go that 340-350fps you THOUGHT you were gonna get.... No big loss, that bow can be dropped down to 63#, and shoot faster than 95% of the 70# bows that are out there, and be a more comfortable draw.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:53 AM
Spike

@OHbowhunter or anyone who wants to give me some advice. Ohbowhunter I know you hunt similar grounds to me here in MI, do you think I should drop the weight and keep the same arrows? or should I keep my weight the same and get a stiffer heavier arrow. I am leaning on a heavier arrow b/c I spent close to a grand on the bow and i want it to last a while. As far as targets go, I shoot broadheads in my targets 90% of the time. I like to practice with what I will be using. I probably wont shoot past 45 on a deer, coyote is different story.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.