Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another Broadhead Tuning Question

Old 06-23-2003, 08:11 PM

Default Another Broadhead Tuning Question

I have been working on my broadhead tuning. If I take my group of fieldpoints, my broadheads are about 6 inches to the left at about 10 yards. Is this normal or not. I can always readjust my sight but just wondering if this was excessive.
Old 06-23-2003, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Another Broadhead Tuning Question

Ah no thats not normal at all, and its way off from what you should be doing. especially at only 10yards. Not knowing anything on your equipment, setup, how well tuned your setup is, its hard to say what your problem could be. Have you ever papertuned your setup? Checked for vane clearance on rest? Ever spun your arrows checking for straightness at each end of the shaft? Properly aligned your broadheads? Just to name a few of the possibilities. Broadheads have a tendency of showing up problems with your setup field points won' t.
Old 06-23-2003, 11:06 PM

1. Check your rest for " Center shot." If not centered, center the rest and try again. If still to left, move rest in very small increments to the right. Keep in mind, an improper grip may be torqueing the bow by placing your bow hand to far to right in bow handle. If you are, and you cannot correct problem you may not be able to shoot with rest dead-centered.

2. Make sure you are not canting top of bow to the right.

3. Are you bending your bow wrist to far inward? Don' t!

4. Are extending your bow arm to the max and locking your elbow? Don' t. Slightly bend your bow arm.

5. Make sure you are not pulling your left shoulder up to your jaw and then dropping bow down to left when you fire. If lifting shoulder and leaning backward, draw-weight may be too much for you.

6. Dial up your draw-weight in ΒΌ" turns to check for " overspined" shafts. If arrow comes back right, arrows are overspined for the draw-weight you first selected.

Old 06-24-2003, 08:25 AM

I agree, 6" at 10yds is way to much diff. The are flying very poorly.

I vote its centershot or your tourqing the grip.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:27 AM

Do you think it matters that I get a very good group with field points. Trying to rule out grip and shot problems?
Old 06-24-2003, 11:48 AM

A bow can be very poorly tuned and you can torque the grip and still get very good fp groups. As long as the bow and you shoot the poorly flying arrow the same everytime. This is because fp' s do not " grab" air and will not plane.

Do the same thing with bh' s and all heck breaks loose. If they come out on an angle or the arrow fishtails, porpoises etc., the blades catch the air and " steer" the arrow all over the place.

Just because your fp groups are great, does not meen your bow or your form is going to shoot bh' s well.
Old 06-24-2003, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good sugestions so far , I might add check to make sure you are shooting an arrow of the proper spine or stiffness , sometimes an arrow that has to weak of a spine will shoot to the right with a broadhead attached as opposed to a field tipped arrow , thats for a right handed archer.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:20 PM

Start from beginning again and paper tune. That' s most likely best option. If it' s good w/ fp' s shoot paper w/ bh on too. I personally think it sounds like center shot. nock point placement or shooting form(ie lookin 4 arrow and not concentrating on sight picture). If it' s a 2 cam may wanna check tiller adjustment.Shoot paper w/ both then get back w/ results. sometimes an accessory that you don' t normally use may do it to (ie bow quiver)
Old 06-24-2003, 10:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

CottonFarmer, try giving us your full setup info here, and maybe we can be of better use. Bow, arrows, rest, poundage,draw. How long have you been shooting? I' m personnally not so sure your form could be the culprit, least not all of it. We are only talking 10yds here, and 6" off. Was the setup ever tuned? Might be able to eliminate some possiblities here with more info
Old 06-25-2003, 07:43 PM

Thanks everyone for the help. I have taken all of your advice. I have found that at least half of my problem is bow torque in my grip. When I bought my new arrows, my pro shop dealer gave some advice on my grip and, well I am sure it works well for him but not for me.

Now to start with other problems tonight I shot at 20 yards and my BH' s were only about 2 inches from my FP group. I am still fairly new to bowhunting but I think this a fixable problem with more practice.