Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I don' t know what to do and need some help

Old 06-23-2003, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I don' t know what to do and need some help

I currently use an arrow rest with a cushion plunger, so my cock feather was facing out. I am going to get a 2 prong rest and don' t see how my vanes will clear.

Does this mean I need to put my cock feather down?

Or should I go to a bodoodle or whiskerbiscuit?
Old 06-23-2003, 10:22 AM

Default RE: I don' t know what to do and need some help

You need to index(move) the feather so it will clear the rest. This usually close to straight down, depending on amount of offset. It may take a little adjusting and shooting and powder checking to get it right. Then set them all up the same.

P.S. - you mau also need to adjust the prong width depending on arrow size. I usually open them up as far as will still hold the arrow.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

thunder, if you are using conventional style glue on nocks, then yes, you will need to get them refletched with the cock feather down. If you are using the adjustable type nocks, like uni nocks, then you can just index them as Rack Attack has said.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

if you are using conventional style glue on nocks, then yes, you will need to get them refletched with the cock feather down.
A bit more practical solution is to take the old nocks off and index the new ones when you glue them on. Nocks are cheaper than fletches.
Old 06-23-2003, 02:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

True, Arthur, true, I forget sometimes that I' m one of the few that uses 24 hour expoxy on most of my components.
Old 06-23-2003, 04:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Or you could use a wisker biskit or a drop away rest and if set up correctly you don' t have to wory about your vanes at all. I use a NAP QT2000 drop away and I can shoot with my cock feather up, down, out, in, or anywere in between an the vanes do not touch. I have switched to using all white vanes because of this. In the heat of the moment I do not have to worry about how I am puting my arrow on the string. I just grab it and go.
Old 06-23-2003, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wisqer bisquet is a good rest , it works very well with feathers and has some definate advantages over the other two rest you mention in a hunting situation .
Old 06-23-2003, 10:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Lordy, Bob! Epoxy? For nocks?!? Thought I was bad, using super glue gel. I' d hate to have to break out the cold chisel and wire brush every time I bust a nock.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, I am an expoxy junkie!!! I use it for nocks (mainly for traditional stuff now, I use mainly xx78' s with the uni for the compound), inserts, and broadhead adapters. I never use the clear stuff, only they gray and white 12-24 hour stuff. Permanent bond. Actually for the nocks, I have found that I actually break less nocks with the expoxy. I have a theory that before a nock breaks, it comes loose on the shaft. I also use a type of superglue for my fletchings. I get the stuff from a local hobby dealer, I can' t remember the name of it, but it is like superglue, only it takes a couple of minutes to set. The bond is great. It gives you a little time before it dries, which is sort of nice. If anyone wants the name of the stuff or what it is made of send me an e-mail and I' ll look. But, recently I have used the tape stuff on the fletching that Arthur had suggested to me a while back. So far, it seems to work pretty good, better then I expected.
Old 06-26-2003, 02:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanx for the help guys! Now I' ll go out and buy that rest and set it up.