Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Couple of KS. birds

Old 04-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Couple of KS. birds

Went back to the farm in KS. for the early archery/youth turkey season this past weekend. Filled both tags, one on Friday morning and the other on Sat. morning. Friday mornings hunt was as quick as them come. The bird hit the ground about 100 yards from me and I gave him one series of yelps and he spotted the decoys and literally ran all the way to my set up. Shot him at 8 yards. He made it 40 yards from there. 8.5" beard.
Sat. morning I sat up on the other side of the same creek that I hunted on Friday and had quite a show. Had 6 full fan stutters come by, following hens. Got two of them to come over and check out the set up. Had the dekes set up a bit further out this time so the shot was 17 yards, broadside full strut. Nailed him but he made it back to the creek about 150 yards away. Found him easily just inside the tree line. 9.5" beard.
Used the pretty boy and hen both mornings. Used both a mouth call and a glass slate to do the callin'. Used Wasp jackhammers that I modified by rounding the tip a bit. Still got one pass through, and the arrow stayed in the 2nd bird. Doublebull worked flawlessly, like usual.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nice going my man. I filled my first tag on opening morning with a 23 lb Kansas Tom but havn't been able to go back out yet. Congratulations.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default Awesome

Nothing like turkey hunting with bows for turkeys.

You sure didnt get to hunt long.

DB
Old 04-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great hunt! CONGRATS Howler!
Old 04-13-2010, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. I don't mind the "short hunts". I had plenty of work to do with my spare time. One of the neat things about using the bow, is that I killed these two and the rest of the turkeys have know idea what happened and will be just as huntable when I take a friend of mine back in two weeks to try to get his two tags filled.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can I be one of your friends too?

Congrats Howler. Sounds like you had a great time! I have plenty of area to turkey hunt, but I have no idea how to call so I've never turkey hunted. Maybe someday....
Old 04-13-2010, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

No better time than the present to learn how to call'em. It's not that difficult, especially with the friction calls. I don't claim to be that good at calling either, it's more about being in the right spot at the right time.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Way to go!! I hope to go back to KS next year and get after those Gobblers again!

Dan