Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Homemade Deer Mineral Recipe

Old 06-19-2003, 08:47 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Homemade Deer Mineral Recipe

Horntagger,

I know yopu said you can get the Di-calcium phosphate at a feed store, but where do you get the other stuff. I don' t know where to get Trace mineral salt and Stock salt ice cream salt Where can you get the stuff in 50 pound bags. Could you either post it or e-mail me. [email protected]

Jay
Old 06-19-2003, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Have you ever mixed it with water and let it soak in the ground instead of mixting it with the soil?
Old 06-20-2003, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bump
Old 06-20-2003, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey bob

I don' t know what other folks do, but I can tell you that from my experience of using for quite a while....we prefer to pour it dry, over a fairly solid stump...on it and around it. I use about about (2) 5 gallon bucket fulls at a time. The stump seems to absorb the minerals as well as the surrounding soil. Works very well for us. Theres no need to mix it with water...(especially this year ).
Old 06-20-2003, 10:35 AM

thanks for the recipie i' m gonna try it !one question if i just take all the bags and mix em together, i could use it in several locations correct????

Old 06-23-2003, 10:45 AM

NBA - I don' t think it will draw them off of the mineral and salt for the cows unless you put it on the path that they travel and cut them off before they get to it is my only suggestion.

WVHunter - In my studies of deer movement 80% of the movement is at night with no hunting pressure so yes alot of my pictures are at night.

Just - you should be able to get most of the mineral at a CO-OP or any place that sells cattle feed.

Xibow - Yes you can make multiple location but I would not put less than 100 lbs in one spot. I typical start the year out with 200 lbs in the fawning and antler growth season. Then in the fall put in one last 100 lbs.

No water is needed it will draw moisture out of the ground typically in that area and it should rain something enough to mix it with the soil. I do at least twice a year turn ground over with a shovel. Becuase they beat it down with the hooves.

I spent the weekend night getting 1998, 1999, part of 2002 and all of 2003 hope this you will enjoy the pictures from mineral in 2003.

http://www.mosportsmen.com/gamecameraindex.htm
Old 06-23-2003, 03:05 PM

Horntagger,
I will say this, I tried it last year with very little results. But this year I tried it again on a new lease I got in. And the only thing I can say is that I must have put it in a bad spot last year because the three spots I put out on my lease are being demolished. I made all three in April and just checked them for the first time last week. It looks like someone has been in there with a rototiller. It' s great stuff, I' m glad I tried it. Thanks for the recipe.