Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow Storage

Old 06-17-2003, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

Default Bow Storage

I' ve never thought about this till now that I have mine down in the basement, but is there a good/bad place/way to store a bow? Mine is in an insulated case in my basement which is pretty much like a standard basement? Any ideas other than the obvious not next to open flame, etc?
Old 06-17-2003, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bow Storage

AND NEVER LEAVE IT IN A HOT VEHICLE (or anywhere that stays hot, like an attic). According to my professional archery dealer, hot vehicles are the no. 1 cause for cracked limbs.
Old 06-17-2003, 10:43 AM

rocky top is right! however i have read a few articles lately that said to either leave it in the car on a hot day for a few hours or leave it sit out in the sun to bake so you can cook out all the string wax ,problem is i don' t remember why they said to do it? speed maybe? i wouldn' t no matter what it' s not worth it when you consider the damage it can do!![X(]

Old 06-17-2003, 11:52 AM
Dominant Buck

The basement is fine as long as it' s not damp. My basement is bone dry plus I have a dehumidifier down there. Best would be where you live and it' s air conditioned. Don' t store it in a tightly closed closet that is on the outside wall of the house. They can get hot in the summer because there is not AC in there. I would NOT store it in a completely closed up case. You want air to get to it. Things could sweat in a tightly closed case if you have temperature extremes and high humidity.
Old 06-17-2003, 08:49 PM

What?! You mean people actually put there bows up after season? Wow, new to me. lol. JK. Like they' ve said, no hot places otherwise it could crack your limbs, if its recurve, take the string off. Make sure that if its in a case that theres no broadheads on arrows or anything that could nick a string. But, its a little late now, you need to be pullin it out right about now and getting it ready for season. Please dont wait till september to get ready. Me and the other guys at the store i work at get so overrun with people pullin there bows out about august and bringin them in, and we cant get them back to them in less than a week cause were so overrun with bows.
Old 06-17-2003, 10:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

My wife works night shift.
So both my bows sleep with me[]
Old 06-18-2003, 12:50 AM

I practice year round so mine is never in limbo very long at a time. I shoot constantly to stay in form.
Old 06-18-2003, 03:48 AM

quote] My wife works night shift.
So both my bows sleep with me [/quote]

Ausie, Its ok to love your bows. But just dont LOVE your bows.[&:]

My bow rests on a bow rack in my closet. I guess as long as the heat, cold, humidity is under control it doesnt matter if the bow is hanging on a wall or in a case.[:-]
Old 06-18-2003, 06:12 PM

When not in use, which isnt very often, I keep mine in a bow case in my closet or under my bed.