Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bow poundage for elk.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

The reg is 35lbs for Colorado.

Hunting smart is the key...know your limits. More draw weight will allow you to stretch your range. Be confident with your equipment!
Old 02-16-2010, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

With draw weight the key is to be able to draw and shoot easily without doing gymnastics to get it back. You should be able to hold the bow out, then draw, then hold it for a minute or two or three.

Pick a good solid BH.

YES! on the range finder. You say inside 70 yards, thats a very long shot with a bow, there is noticable arrow drop from 20 to 30 yards with most bows, the further out you go the more drop there is. As you get out towards 50 yards being off by 10 yards will create a bad hit or miss. Get a range finder and use it.

You can get a Bushnell 400 or so off Craig's list or eBay for short money. typically the cheap-o onces do not work.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wyoming has a limit at 50 pounds minimum for elk. I shoot at 67# for everything.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Friend of mine shoots a Martin bow set at 48#'s and last year she shot another bull, that makes about 10 for her now, and once again at 23 yards, her arrow got a complete pass through on a 363" monstor.
With a quality COC broadhead, short shot, well placed arrow it doesn't take much for draw weight to kill an elk.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Howler
Friend of mine shoots a Martin bow set at 48#'s and last year she shot another bull, that makes about 10 for her now, and once again at 23 yards, her arrow got a complete pass through on a 363" monstor.
With a quality COC broadhead, short shot, well placed arrow it doesn't take much for draw weight to kill an elk.
That's a big part of the puzzle right there Howler!! Well said!!
Old 02-16-2010, 08:37 AM
Typical Buck

awesome thanks! one more question, I dont really like the trigger releases, If I dont use one will it affect the accuracy? Or are they more for a convinence?
Old 02-16-2010, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

shot Elk with 55# Recurve & 60# Compounds. No problem.
Yes, get yourself a rangefinder-wish I had one in the old days. I use a 3 Blade Broadhead fixed Blades. I also shoot a arrow shaft on the heavy side for my poundage for all my Biggame Bowhunting but thats my choice..
Old 02-16-2010, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by genesis27:3
awesome thanks! one more question, I dont really like the trigger releases, If I dont use one will it affect the accuracy? Or are they more for a convenience?
Everyone will tell you your nuts for not using a release but I think It's all about convenience. It can be done with out and yes a smooth release with fingers will be better for accuracy then a bad release with fingers.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by genesis27:3
awesome thanks! one more question, I dont really like the trigger releases, If I dont use one will it affect the accuracy? Or are they more for a convinence?
I hunted several years shooting fingers with both Traditional gear and compounds. Todays compounds are shorter and more difficult to shoot accurately with fingers. Neither short A to A or high letoff lend themselves to finger shooting.

Take the time and learn to use a release correctly. It is Not an easy thing to master and many never do. If you do you will be very glad you did. I know for me it was the hardest thing I ever learned to do, but I would Never consider going back unless I shot Traditional. That's an entirely different ballgame.

Dan
Old 02-16-2010, 11:15 AM
Typical Buck

ok I will work on it thanks