Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrow Fletchings??

Old 06-15-2003, 06:06 PM

Default Arrow Fletchings??

I would like to eventually purchase an arrow fletcher and I have some questions. Is helical fletchings needed when I am strictly shooting field points and mechanicals, would it be alright to use straight fletchings? What is the difference between 1 deg offset and 6 deg offset? I have read that the bitzenburger is one of the best out there. I have seen them in a magazine, would I have to buy just the jig or do I have to buy the dial o fletch, the clamps and the nock receiver? These are just a few of my questions. I am sure I can come up with more. Thanks
Old 06-15-2003, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrow Fletchings??

No you dont need any helical using field points helical is sometimes needed to add more drag to arrows with fixed blade Broad heads to keep the head from steering the arrow.

What is the difference between 1 deg offset and 6 deg offset?

5 degrees

would I have to buy just the jig or do I have to buy the dial o fletch, the clamps and the nock receiver?

the Dial-O-Fletch has everything you need to refletch your arrows including instructions on how to use it.
Old 06-15-2003, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

I just bought the Grayling Fletcher for 28" and it does a good job. Just something to look into.
Old 06-16-2003, 07:08 AM

Thanks for everyones reply.

Bigpapascout,
Will a straight fletch work good enough for mechanicals. I am trying to decide if I want to go with helical or straight.

Bigpapascout,
Thanks. for helping me out with my match problems but what I need to know now is, in what situations would you use the 1 deg offset and the 6 deg offset. Give me an example, if possible.

Thanks.
Old 06-16-2003, 03:05 PM

A little helical or even a slight offset would be better than straight. I mean, would you shoot a rifle without any rifling in the barrel? A little offset with mechanicals gives it just enough spin to keep it straight and steady. The bitz is a good jig. Also, you might want to look at a jo-jan. Its all preference and there both good. But, you really want to consider putting a slight offset or even a helical. If your shooting carbons, go with offset(better clearence).