Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pants or Bibs?

Old 06-11-2003, 02:32 PM

Default RE: Pants or Bibs?

Bibs,Forwinter and summer.Wear shorts under them when it' s warm.In the cold easier to put more layers on and off and more comfy..
Old 06-11-2003, 07:17 PM

Insulated bibs when its cold, and pants in the warm ealy season.

Bibs and a jacket are adaptable, on cold mornings the two keep you warm, and as the day warms up to cool or chilly just remove the jacket for comfort.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:28 PM

bibs for sitting much warmer. pants for climbing walking and moving around. if you hunt in bibs all day and do a lot of climbing and walking around you will be a lot more wore out at the end of the day fighting the straps all day long.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

I dont own a pair of bibs but i think that i may try them out for winter bow this year after reading all of these posts!
Old 06-11-2003, 08:42 PM
Typical Buck

Warm weather or cold weather.....I always wear
bibs.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:39 PM

Hey Mathews

I hate to laugh but just thinking about your little mess [] I cant stop laughing. That' s the luck I have. Sorry
Old 06-12-2003, 03:08 PM

Not to side track but I prefer coveralls. When I know weather is going to be cold they fit against my body instead of jacket over bibs no chance of jacket creeping up when I sit. Just my opinion. Like Mathews though just hope you don' t need to do business in woods!!
Old 06-12-2003, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

Bibs will keep your kidneys warmer which in turn will keep you warmer. Bibs also provide a place to warm you hands other than a pocket.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:20 PM
Fork Horn

i like the bibs the pants seem to slip down the waist
Old 06-13-2003, 11:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well I know all about cold tematures and hunting!! However it looks like I am of rare breed, since I much prefer pants to bibs. I guess it may stem from cold weather, as I find dropping the drawers to be less of a task when I just undo the belt and go...hehe (LMAO Mathews, happened to a buddy with covey' s one year) If it is really cold I wear 1-piece thermal under garments. However mostly I use 2 piece, I buy the tops larger so I can tuck into my bottoms to ensure they stay down. Always found the key to warmth is thin appropriate layers, consisting of thermal base and layers of wool & fleece (extra bonuses are less bulk and noise). Very important to keep your head, feet & hands warm. Fleece or wool caps or toques (as us canucks call them...eh!) work the best on top. Wool gloves and mitts, coupled with hot hands. Good thinsulate/gortex boots with liner socks(that wick moisture away from the skin) and quality wool socks. Important to drink water and eat foods that help generate heat, sucha s PBJ' s, Cereal or Granola Bars, etc. Refrain form taking that thermos of coffee or tea, as caffine makes you void more frequently...another important part of the heat loss scenario..voiding (P' ing) causes temperature loss, so you should try to limit the amount and types of beverages that cause you to do so (hence why they called it a " P shiver" ). If you need warm drink, than the best option is cup a soup style.
I never get cold while sitting in our late season and endure sub zero temps very regularily.

For those who find pants ride low, use suspenders on your pants. I have found the style for holding up tool belts to be excellent and you only need one pair as they just snap on and can be moved to other outfits.

BTW I don' t usually wear insulated pants or jackets either, I wear a fleece outfit that has wind stopper in them...very warm, thin, breathable and quiet. I find most insulated clothing does not breath well, traps & holds moisture close to the skin. (Of course they tend to be bulkier and some can get crunchy when the mercury drops up here(noise)

Thats my 2 cents and formula for beating cold weather, just another option.

Quick Reply: Pants or Bibs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.