Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Kenetic energy

Old 06-10-2003, 02:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default Kenetic energy

I' m shootin 262 fps with my darton. my arrows are beman ICS 400' rds 28 1/2" long, 327 grains. according to bow-jackson energy calculator I got 50 ft lbs of KE.
this don' t sound right. last fall I was pullin 65 lb draw weight with the same arrow, except with feathers instead of vanes. I came up with 62 ft lbs of KE.
shouldn' t be that much difference with only 3 lbs less draw weight.
does that sound about right on the weight of those arrows? seems like last time I was figuring over 400 grains? [:' (] I won' t even be able to shoot mechanicals with my splitfire 36, pullin 62 lbs with the same arrow I' m only shootin 240 fps, and my KE is only 42 ft lbs. last fall I was pullin 65 lbs, and shootin rocket steelheads, and got complete pass throughs on 2 deer. I guess it' s back to fixed heads with my splitfire.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:18 PM

Default RE: Kenetic energy

Shoot the 90gr rocket slammer heads[1 3/4 inch cutting dia,]you will get pass throughs you can put your fist through!
Old 06-10-2003, 02:41 PM
Fork Horn

The arrow weight you listed must be without the weight of your broadhead. Beman ICS Hunters 28.5" , weight 290.4 gr and ICS Camo Hunters 28.5" , weight 321.75 both without the broadhead weight.

ICS Hunter 8.4 gr per inch
ICS Camo Hunter 9.5 gr per inch
Nock 13 gr
Insert 23 gr
Fletching approx 15 gr

With the ICS Hunter and a 75gr broadhead you get 56lbs of ke amd with a 100 gr broadhead you get 59lbs of ke. Go to the ICS Camo Hunters with the same set up you get 60 and 64lbs of ke. All are adequate for mechanicals.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:14 PM
Typical Buck

yep, Capt Ray, you are correct. they weighed that arrow on an arrow scale, but I don' t know where they come up with 327 grains.[:' (] it should be more like 407 grains with my vanes. man! these pro shops
I' m a happy camper again.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:19 PM
Spike

how do you figure the KE??. thank you for your time
Old 06-10-2003, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Goldenarm, welcome to the site!

To answer your question, you must know two things.
1. The weight of your arrow in grains.
2. The speed of your arrow in feet per second.

The formula for KE IS....

V x V xW divided by 450,240

Take the speed of your arrow multiply it by the speed of your arrow, then multiply that by the weight of your arrow. Then divide that number by 450,240.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:46 PM

BC, your always helpin the new guys, wether it be a new archer, or a new Burger King with your orders of 20 burgers, 12 fries, 5 Cokes, and a salad for good health
Old 06-10-2003, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK wiseguy, if you would have taken me up on my offer to build you a new string for free, and show you how to install a peepsite without cutting it in half, you would know that I no longer frequent those places.

The new me....lean and mean!
Old 06-10-2003, 09:27 PM

Hey there,

I was worried that you would get french fry grease all over my bow

Mean, lean, and Big Country at three words that will NEVER go together

Don' t you worry, my string will be here tommorow (hopefully), and then, hopefully by the middle of next week, I will have my bow entirely set-up and tuned, then, its on. Any guys from PA wanna meet at BC' s house and watch me kick his butt in an 3-D archery competition?
Old 06-10-2003, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don' t you worry, my string will be here tommorow (hopefully), and then, hopefully by the middle of next week, I will have my bow entirely set-up and tuned, then, its on. Any guys from PA wanna meet at BC' s house and watch me kick his butt in an 3-D archery competition?
Hey, that is fast work. I get my new protec on friday, and by friday afternoon it will be shooting like I had it for a month.

But, that is perfect timing for your bow to be ready. We have a shoot at our club on the 22nd of June, be there. If you get past me, there will be a couple of guys shooting with me that may be able to hang with ya. You can see a picture of them on hoyts owners manual for this year. Their bows only shoot in the mid 280fps range, should be a walk in the park with that barnburner you got!

Quick Reply: Kenetic energy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.