Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadheads

Old 01-06-2010, 12:35 PM
Spike

Default Broadheads

Just picked up a Hoyt Trykon, moved up to North Pole, AK and will be doing lots of Moose, Bear, Caribou hunting. I have been doing lots of reading on different broadheads, seems that for big game hunting people choose the 2 blade heads vs. 3-4 blade heads for a deeper penetration and bone cutting power and durability, so I have been looking at the Crimson Crocs, Crimsom Tuskers, Magnus Stinger Buzz Cuts, and the Steel Force Phat Heads & Hellfire Sabertooth, thunder heads, anyone know of anything better or one of these that have worked for them?
Old 01-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Magnus I believe will work well for u and they fly flawlessly too
Old 01-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowh...ve-target.html
Old 01-07-2010, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

+1 on the Magnus Stingers.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:50 AM
bigcountry

I shoot the regular magus great. I also shoot 200gr phantoms in one of my trad setups. Phantoms seem to fly better than my solid magnus. Less planing.

Either works for me.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Firstly, welcome to the Forum!

Of the heads mentioned above, I'd vote for the Magnus Buzzcuts.

I would also cast a vote for the G5 Montec CS.... it would be an awesome b-head and his3 blade could easily challenge all the2 blade heads mentioned above.

Good luck and good huntin' up there!
Old 01-08-2010, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default broadheads

I shot NAP Thunderheads for many years, but now use meat seekers, they fly just like field tips.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:23 AM
Fork Horn

I don't know if the law has been changed, but you are not allowed mechaincal bh in Ak. A bunch of us including F&G had data sent to us from different states and found that too many negatives, plus the animals are bigger and tougher for the use of them. I shot several Moose, carribou, and bears with my bow and have never had a problem with all steel bhs. A lot of the guys used Thunderheads with not problems. Slick Trick, Nap Hellrazor, G5 Montec, STeel Force, Magnus, and a lot of others are great heads to bring down the biggest of the Moose. I hunted the Nilchina herd, that was as far north I got. Pretty country and a lot of bigons out there.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

For serious 2 blade BH's you should give these a look:

http://www.alaskabowhunting.com/Broadheads-C15.aspx

I have experience with the Samurai and recently got some Silver Flames (a deal to good to pass up). I have also used the Muzzy Phantoms to good effect.