Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Challenge

Old 01-06-2010, 03:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Charlie P
I can honestly say I've never taken a photo of a doe and actually very few deer I've killed.
When I grew up we never took picture of our hogs when we butchered. The only reason I ever killed at all for several years was to put meat on the table.

I hardly cared what it was, Doe, small buck, whatever. I never really considered any of them trophies. I never was a Trophy hunter, and still don't consider myself one although I have become much more selective in what I will and will Not shoot. I think that is just a natural progression.

Steve, I am sure you will agree with me that most Bowhunting shots are less than 20 yards. I'd say my average over 40 years is probably closer to 15 yards. It is Not that hard to group arrows amazingly tight at those ranges with consistent practice. The Mulie I just tagged last month at 4 yards I could have shot with a recurve even without practice

I still remember the days when a Buddy and I would take a soda can out and knock that thing all over the woods with our recurves.

I have seen made and made a few amazing shots with a recurve. I agree with the guy that said it is like throwing rocks, you throw enough of them you get pretty good.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both types of bows, but I doubt if anyones choice of weapon makes them a better or a more dedicated Bowhunter. You can Not lump all compound users in a group and say they are Not dedicated, nor can you put all traditional guys in a group and say they are dedicated. It just doesn't work that way.

On average I spend more time scouting, shooting, and sitting in a stand or blind than many hunters spend in 5 or 10 years. I'm talking your average hunter, not most of the guys on the forums.

I think it's a shame when someone feels they are a superior or a more dedicated hunter just because of their weapon choice. I may hunt with a Crossbow before the day comes I have to quit, but I doubt that would make me any less dedicated. I started out shooting a Shakespeare recurve that was a birthday present when I was in grade school. I murdered a bunch of rabbits with that thing over the next couple of years.

Then I got a part time job and bought a Ben Pearson Recurve. It was a little shorter and I thought it was an awesome bow, as the jobs got better I bought a custom recurve, don't even remember who made it, but it was a work of art. I kept it for a long time and actually I wish I had never given it away, but as with a lot of guys in that time period I was bitten by the compound bug. I could talk about traditional for a long time and not tire of it. I remember once darn near cutting my thumb off while sharpening some Ol' Bear Razorheads. I just never had a desire to go back to traditional after making the switch.

I have probably owned 60 or more personal bows and will admit I am an equipment junkie. I think I was the 1st in the area to use mechanicals, decoys, rangefinders. I enjoy getting a New bow every year and putting it through it's paces.

Good Luck to all Bowhunters! May 2010 be your best season ever!

Dan

Last edited by MeanV2; 01-06-2010 at 04:07 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:10 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Schultzy
Every animal big or small that I've shot (compound and traditional) has me posing In a mug shot proud as can be. Pictures mean allot to me whether I'm the one posing or not In the pic.
Looking back, I wish I got some shots. I just didn't take the time. It would be nice to look back.

Its just back then there was no digital cameras. Getting film developed was last on my mind.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:12 AM
bigcountry

Dadgone dan, you just a slayer. You out here killing at 70 yards, and now at 15 yards, hitting impossible shots with recurves.

I am just impressed. Is there anything you can't do extremely well? You seem to much more than any of us.

Originally Posted by MeanV2
When I grew up we never took picture of our hogs when we butchered. The only reason I ever killed at all for several years was to put meat on the table.

Steve, I am sure you will agree with me that most Bowhunting shots are less than 20 yards. I'd say my average over 40 years is probably closer to 15 yards. It is Not that hard to group arrows amazingly tight at those ranges with consistent practice. The Mulie I just tagged last month at 4 yards I could have shot with a recurve even without practice

I still remember the days when a Buddy and I would take a soda can out and knock that thing all over the woods with our recurves.

I have seen made and made a few amazing shots with a recurve. I agree with the guy that said it is like throwing rocks, you throw enough of them you get pretty good.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both types of bows, but I doubt if anyones choice of weapon makes them a better or a more dedicated Bowhunter. You can Not lump all compound users in a group and say they are Not dedicated, nor can you put all traditional guys in a group and say they are dedicated. It just doesn't work that way.

On average I spend more time scouting, shooting, and sitting in a stand or blind than many hunters spend in 5 or 10 years. I'm talking your average hunter, not most of the guys on the forums.

I think it's a shame when someone feels they are a superior or a more dedicated hunter just because of their weapon choice. I may hunt with a Crossbow before the day comes I have to quit, but I doubt that would make me any less dedicated. I started out shooting a Shakespeare recurve that was a birthday present when I was in grade school. I murdered a bunch of rabbits with that thing over the next couple of years.

Then I got a part time job and bought a Ben Pearson Recurve. It was a little shorter and I thought it was an awesome bow, as the jobs got better I bought a custom recurve, don't even remember who made it, but it was a work of art. I kept it for a long time and actually I wish I had never given it away, but as with a lot of guys in that time period I was bitten by the compound bug. I could talk about traditional for a long time and not tire of it. I remember once darn near cutting my thumb off while sharpening some Ol' Bear Razorheads. I just never had a desire to go back to traditional after making the switch.

I have probably owned 60 or more personal bows and will admit I am an equipment junkie. I think I was the 1st in the area to use mechanicals, decoys, rangefinders. I enjoy getting a New bow every year and putting it through it's paces.

Good Luck to all Bowhunters! May 2010 be your best season ever!

Dan

Old 01-06-2010, 05:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Dadgone dan, you just a slayer. You out here killing at 70 yards, and now at 15 yards, hitting impossible shots with recurves.

I am just impressed. Is there anything you can't do extremely well? You seem to much more than any of us.
Not sure How you read that into that post? Whatever!

Dan
Old 01-06-2010, 06:33 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by MeanV2
Not sure How you read that into that post? Whatever!

Dan
nah man, I am just impressed. With all your accomplishments, you might be the finest archer on this page.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bigcountry
nah man, I am just impressed. With all your accomplishments, you might be the finest archer on this page.
You are easily impressed then

I do know a string Suppressor won't slow a Bow down 10 to 15fps though

Have a Great season in 2010 Mark!

Dan
Old 01-06-2010, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say not! My hunting time was limited with a wife in college! The buck I would of liked to tag I missed the 1st day (hit a sappling) saw him again hunting with all my buddies in the rain but never again! My nephew saw him once, I ended up taking a 5 point big bodied deer and a few doe! I am now hunting for my landowner whom I take 2 for every year 1 down 1 to go and I would like to do it from the ground! There are plenty of deer there so I'm hoping to make it happen!
Old 01-06-2010, 09:32 AM
Dominant Buck

I think it's a shame when someone feels they are a superior or a more dedicated hunter just because of their weapon choice.
It certainly is. I hate to see it when they do that.

But the issue I have here is.....your underlying tone that traditional archery is "no big deal". I'm not making it out to be one (big deal), either. I won't trivialize eiher pursuit.

But let's look at this logically.

WHY is it most won't give traditional archery a go?
Old 01-07-2010, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some Trad. pics of mine that I rounded up. 58 through 60s. I had a total of 38 animals b/4 switching to compound in the 70s. 1 Elk, 1 Bear, Whitetail & couple hogs.
Attached Thumbnails Challenge-hogtouchup2-copy.jpg   Challenge-scan0011.jpg   Challenge-scan0041.jpg   Challenge-scan0008.jpg   Challenge-scan0023.jpg  

Old 01-07-2010, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

a few more
Attached Thumbnails Challenge-scan0001.jpg   Challenge-scan0003.jpg   Challenge-scan0004.jpg  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.