Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

String arrow questions

Old 12-29-2009, 03:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default String arrow questions

Ok I swear I asked this question a few days ago but between my kidney stone issue and two trips to the er I forgot to check it. Now I can not find the thread
My draw length is off and needs fixed. SO I am thinking a string change is need as it is about 5 years old has about 500 to 750 arrows through it and shows some wear. What string would you recommend for a reflex excursion. I know it is long but not sure how long. Money is not a issue I want a good or great string that will hold up.
Also I bought carbon express maxima hunter arrows seem to be a good arrow. Though two of them broke one when it went through a 1/2 inch plywood shed and the other into a dirt/sand/little gravel hill. Are they any good and worth there money or would you recommend a better arrow. Since my arrows sit 1/2 inch from my rest I will need new arrows again when I get my draw length fixed.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

First off id say practice more. 750 shots throught a bow in 5 years isnt a lot. You can never be too good. Anyway id say replace the string and cables if their starting to fray. Id recommend vapor trail. You can call them and place an order or you could get a hold of meanv(Dan) and he will hook you up. As for your arrows, im using regular maximas and i think their some of the best hunting arrows money can buy. Id say stick with the maxima hunters.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Now that I think of it this is my 4th year with it. Second hunting with it. I skipped my third year hunting because I moved to a hunter safety course state and could not get it in time. SO I did not shoot that much last year I did not shoot enough. This year I got a 3d target and have gotten alot better. My plan is 3 or 4 days a week when it warms up I figured why fix the draw length now and have to fix the sting this summer when it wears out.
Originally Posted by MOhunter46
First off id say practice more. 750 shots throught a bow in 5 years isnt a lot. You can never be too good. Anyway id say replace the string and cables if their starting to fray. Id recommend vapor trail. You can call them and place an order or you could get a hold of meanv(Dan) and he will hook you up. As for your arrows, im using regular maximas and i think their some of the best hunting arrows money can buy. Id say stick with the maxima hunters.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Tim, I am running a special on VaporTrail strings and cables complete with Halo serving. They are as good as it gets!

Dan
Old 12-30-2009, 04:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

750 shots is not much for a string/cables, however the 4-5 years is. the string dries out over time, even if you wax it, it dries under the serving so should be replaced.

there are many customer string makers: winners choice, vapor trail, americas best etc. All are good strings.

Can you put the string on yourself? If not, you need a shop you trust, they might have a recommendation.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanks guys I will keep you in mind when I get ready to buy the string kit meanv2. Properly going to be late this spring as we are going to go to florida this march and I am getting may scuba diving certification.