Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Comparing bows and trying to decide.

Old 06-08-2003, 11:39 PM

Default Comparing bows and trying to decide.

First let me state that I' ve been looking at this site for a while now and it is great! I finally took the time to register so I could post on my delimma. I' m looking for a new hunting bow. I' ll be hunting mostly whitetail and although most shots will be <20 yrds a 40 yard shot is not unheard of.
I have a friend that shoots a Mathews FX. He let me shoot it and I was very impressed. I later shot a Legacy at a shop and while I could tell a difference, it was not enough for me to justify the $ difference.
I also have shot a Bowtech ext. vft, tech29 and Mghtymite. They all shot great but, again I can' t justify the cost difference between those three bows and the Mathews FX.
I can get a FX locally for $379 which is a good price from what I have heard. The other bows I mentioned start at $550 and go up. I ws looking through the Bowtech catalog and noticed the Blackhawk. My local dealer didn' t have one in when I was looking. Man, this blackhawk looks great on paper. I was wondering if anyone has actually bought or shot one and compared it to the Mathews FX since they are close in price (less than $60 around here).
As a general rule I noticed Mathews bows seemed to be smoother and had less shock but gave up speed over the bowtech' s. Is that pretty much the way you guy' s see it? I like the FX cause its a reliable, no surprises design thats been tried and tested for years. But the length of the Blackhawk at less than 29" would be really sweet in the tree stand, not to mention the brace height of 8" . I guess this Blackhawk just sounds too good to be true. Is it?

Thank you for your time and I truly appreciate all replys,
Chad
Old 06-09-2003, 06:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Comparing bows and trying to decide.

For me the decision would come down to draw length. If you have a 29 inch draw length or longer then I think the FX would probably be the better choice as its longer axle to axle length would provide a better string angle. If your draw is under 29 inches then I think the Blackhawk would be the better choice as its higher IBO rating should help with the shorter than average powerstroke.

On the other hand I think you should consider the Stalker model from Bowtech' s lineup if you really want something to compare with the FX. The axle to axle length is about the same. The price is comparable and the brace height is slightly larger on the Stalker model.

Just something to think about.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:31 AM

Like Frank said,

The Stalker is more comparable to the FX. The Stalkers are 33 1/8" axle to axle, 27" -32" draw length, 40#-70# draw weights, 8 1/8" brace height, 2.9 pounds, and a IBO speed of 306 f.p.s.

I was looking at the Stalkers last year, but, I didn' t have the money back then. They are selling around 379.99-399.99 around here.

What can I say about this bow? It is a amazing package for the tree-stand hunter. The bow is short at 33 1/8" but, it isn' t to the point where you loose accuracy. The bow is INCREDIBLY light. You could outfit this bow with all your accessories and be around the same weight as some bows without anything. The brace height is big which will help with any problems in form and will help prevent the string from hitting your hunting clothes. The speed, though not as fast as most of the other BowTechs is stil VERY impressive.

The bow is quiet, and shockfree. The draw cycles of BowTechs get bad wraps from alot of guys, but, in my honest opinion, they aren' t as noticeable as most people would have you believe (and this is comming from someone who shot just about every bow in Pennsylvania before decideing on my MightyMite this year ) I know the draw cycle of my Hoyt MT Sport with Versa-Cam from last year is pretty much the exact same feel as the MightyMite. The only bows that I noticed have a much smoother draw cycle are the new Hoyts with cam and a half.

The only downside to the Stalker is the grip, in my opinion. The grip is a chunk of rubber (which some guys like for hunting), but, I prefer a very thin wood grip. If the grip is something that bothers you, you could have it replaced with a wood grip, and then there really wouldn' t be any downsides to this bow.

Now, another thing about this bow is that if you have been shooting bows in the 35-37" a.t.a. length that weight in the normal 3.75 pound range, it is gonna take a little while to get use to. The Stalker feels like a kids bow, but, once you shoot it, you will see that this is FAR from one.

If you are looking at other sweet shooters in that price range, check out the Browning Tornado, Hoyt MT Sport, Hoyt MagnaTec, PSE FireStrom. These are all good bows that I really like.

The MT Sport costs around 299.99-319.99 around here and that thing is one sweet performer.

I hope this has helped.
Old 06-09-2003, 11:17 AM

Default RE: Comparing bows and trying to decide Blackhawk vs. FX.

Thanks for the replys. To answire the draw length question, mine is 28" . Sounds like a either bow would work for me then.
I realize the stalker is more similar to the FX in deminsions and price. My reasoning for comparing the FX and the Blackhawk was for $60 more (not much when your spending over $350 anyway) I could have a bow that is 5 inches shorter and lighter to boot. The next closest Mathews bow in price to the FX is over $160 more. Having shot the FX, I know it is a very accurate bow but I just don' t know about the accuracy of the Blackhawk due to its short a to a. The black hawk does have a more forgiving brace height though. Any comments on this?
I don' t mind a rubber grip. In fact I may prefer it. Although I haven' t used one much, it has to be better for hand shock and noise over a wood grip.
One more thing, does anyone know if Bowtech rates the IBO speed of their bows with or without the hush kit on?

Thanks again for your time and replys,
Chad
Old 06-09-2003, 12:16 PM

The BowTechs are rated with the Hush kit on. The 2003 speed chart says that with your 28 inch draw, IBO speed for the BlackHawk would be 291 to 299. The wife' s LadyHawk' s grip is very comfortable and feels very soft. You will like the adjustable draw stop pin on the Infinity cam which is very durable. You can adjust your draw length and letoff with this stop pin, something you can' t do with the FX.
Old 06-09-2003, 12:39 PM

Just FYI .
The FX maxcam is adjustable within 1" in 1/2" increments - i.e. 27.5-28-28.5 " .
Mathews Straightline series of cams are non adjustable, the maxcams are .

I haven' t shot one but I' m sure the Bowtech is a good shooter. I have shot some FX' s and think their great for the money, although have a little recoil that requires some Limbsavers and a good stablizer. After that they are pretty smooth shooters. Good Luck !!
Old 06-09-2003, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I ordered and shot a blackhawk, my main opinion was -very light. A light, small package. The string was definately further away from my face than the 2002 mighty-mite I ended up buying (which will put your peep further out if you use one). The rubber grip on the blackhawk didn' t feel as good to me as the (loose, I still need to silicone it in place) wooden grip on the mighty mite.

The birth cirtificate posted the speed of the bow with the hush kit installed, but this was a different (WAY lower) number than what you see on the web-site. The IBO rating is just that (if I' m not mistaking) 70# 30" draw, 350 grain arrow.

Here' s my advice. Shoot both the bows your considering and then vote considering 1- which feels better, and 2- which has the better, more helpful dealer.
Don' t shoot either through the chrony when making your decision. The speed difference will be very little in the end and just might sway you the wrong way in the begining. Shoot the same weight arrow while your at it, so you can compare apples to apples.
Old 06-09-2003, 05:56 PM

Shoot both bows. Pick the one that fits and feels best to you. One will stand out over the other.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:21 PM

Chad,

The small axle to axle may or may not be a problem for you. I shoot more consistantly with a small a.t.a. bow, as well as several other guys on this board, but, there are a bunch that shoot much better with a long a.t.a. bow. That is a preference. If you are accurate with a short a.t.a. bow, then the 8" brace height of the BlackHawk will help out alot, if you aren' t accurate with that small of a a.t.a. bow, then the brace height isn' t going to do much. The shorter a.t.a. bows are easier to torque to the side for some, but, for me, it is easier to handle than a big bow because there is less center of gravity.

The BlackHawks are very nice bows, but I won' t rate them as the most forgiving bows. They are still very good, but not to an outstanding level.

You have to decide what you want in this bow. The BlackHawk is a screamer in a TINY package that would be awsome for hunting. I am sure that you could easily get good patterns at the ranges you suggested. Now, on the other hand, if you are wanting a supremely forgiving bow that is still small a.t.a. then, check out the TomKat by BowTech. 31" a.t.a, 3 pounds, 9.125" brace height, and still speeds at 292 IBO.

Speed ISN' T nessecary (yes, this is comming from someone who shoots the 9th fastest production bow), If you want something that will easily kill deer and do so very very comfortably, the TomKat is the way to go.

The generalization that BowTech bows are loud and have alot of handshock is based mostly on specs of the bow by alot of guys. I can tell you with 100% honesty, that my MightyMite, shooting a 419.9 grain arrow at 302 f.p.s., is the quietest and most shock free bow that I have ever had in my hands. Alot of people just shock and sound by the speed of the bow, but that isn' t what they should judge on. Last year, I was shooting a 2002 Hoyt MT Sport with Versa-Cam. I was shooting a 387 grain arrow or something like that at a WHOPPING 244 f.p.s. I had a Carbon Impact Fat Gel Stabilizer (with Simms Stabilizer Enhancer), Simms String Leechs, Simms Split Limb Limb Savers, Simms Virgin Teflon Cable Slide, and a peep sight (with tubing) along with a nock on the string. By these peoples standards, this should be a very quiet and shockfree bow, but, it was much worse off than my MightyMite. The shock was the biggest thing. It felt great to me last year as I had been shooting a 10+ year old Browning Mirage Hunter dual cam, but, now, after shooting the MightyMite, I realized that it wasn' t that great. It wasn' t bad, but, my MightyMite still kills it. The MightyMite has a 7" Doinker Stealth Hunter Stabilizer, Simm Limb Savers, Simms Virgin Teflon Cable Slide, Simm Cable Rod Dampeners, and one nock on the string. It isn' t even set up as good as my MT Sport was. I can' t wait to get my peep in, along with my Simms String Leechs, Simms Mini Accessory Limb Savers (on sight and arrow rest), and my Simms Insulator Wrap. After those are one, I am seriously going to have to TRY to listen to the bow.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:28 PM

To everyone who said " shoot them both then decide" , its not that easy. I' m a lefty. I know I should have mentioned that before. My local Bowtech dealer said if he ordered me a left handed Blackhawk I have to buy it or another bow from him cause he couldn' t send it back and would have a hard time selling it. Bowtech is all he sells. Because of this, and the fact that I' ve shot a FX and like it, I' m leaning towards the Mathews. Its a right handed world. Sucks being a lefty sometimes!

Chad

Quick Reply: Comparing bows and trying to decide.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.