Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Genetics!?!?

Old 12-27-2009, 10:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default Genetics!?!?

I'm at a loss for this one. I know that a buck gets at least 50% of his genetic material concerning antler growth from the mother; so I'm surprised that these three bucks have such similar antler characteristics. This "high/tight" gene line appears to be one of several in my immediate area. There's a 10pt gene line with most of the bucks having 4"-5" grubs. A wide 8pt gene line with small grubs. And a wide 8pt gene line with nice grubs, small g2s, and big g3s that angle forward. I found it was interesting and thought I'd share.
Attached Thumbnails Genetics!?!?-cdy_0437.jpg   Genetics!?!?-cdy_0028-9-.jpg   Genetics!?!?-cdy_0001-10-.jpg  
Old 12-28-2009, 05:52 AM
Fork Horn

pretty nice looking bucks IMO....
Old 12-28-2009, 06:22 AM
Typical Buck

Muchas gracias, unfortunately the biggest one is dead and not by me. The other's will be nice to see in a few years if they're fortunate enough to make it.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

A lot of times this trait will occur because while the buck fawns will displace after they reach breeding age doe fawns will not and many times will share the same home range as their mother. Because of this those genetic traits become predominant in that area even after dispersal. This is especially true in areas like ours where there is a finite amount of habitat and overpopulation is common.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Since does do contribute 50% of the genetic blueprint, couldn't the explanation be as simple as a handful of sister does the imediate area?

I've also read that orphaned BB's tend to not disperse. A could of brother BB's could have contributed this trait and if they also fathered does a few years back, that could now be in the mix as well.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not understanding why you are at a loss for an explanation. It's just local genetics and One place I hunt we have a main frame 10pt gene with shorter g2s than g3s. See that in the 10pts every year there. Saw and have pics of 4 different 10pts ranging from 2 1/2 to 4 1/2 all with that frame but some with great brows and some week. There are some 8 pts there but not as many. The other farm I hunt is about 20 min away from this farm. There we have an equal mix of 8pts and 10pts and most of the 10pts are short on the g2s as well. The 8pts for the most part have long g2s and real short g3s. These traits are so common this is what I expect to see every year ranging in one form or another. I've takin in 2 big bucks and saw another that was takin in an area around here (actually between both these places I hunt) and 2 of them were main frame 10s with both g2s split like mulies and the other was a main frame 12 with kickers on both g2s. My buddy has a farmonly 2 miles from me and about 80% of there bucks have brow tines less than 2". I rarely ever see brow tines like that. There is alot of other friends places and places we have hunted that have more examples but you get the picture. Local genetics are funny and you'll continue to see them in one shape or another for a long time. WCL