Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting with limited TIME TO SPARE

Old 12-27-2009, 09:24 PM
Fork Horn

Question Bowhunting with limited TIME TO SPARE

I am excited to try bowhunting this year. Fortunately I have access to large parcels of farm/forest land on a river 1 hour away from my house.

Since I have two young children and I work full time, the time I can spare for hunting is limited.

What is the most effective way I can save time on bowhunting? I was thinking on spending 2-3 hours at a time every second week out in the field/blind.

Suggestions on ways to manage my time?
Old 12-28-2009, 01:11 AM
Bartender

Being in Canada you need to try and get out the warmest part of the day if you can.
I see on TV that they bait in some parts so you might want to give that a try so it will put you on deer. Myself I have never hunted up there but someday I will.

T
Old 12-28-2009, 04:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Like Tony said: Hunt the most productive time of day you can for your area to increase your chances.

There is No substitute for time spent in the woods. You will find the more time you spend scouting, and Hunting the Luckier you will be

Dan
Old 12-28-2009, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you proficient with a bow now or will learning to shoot
be part of the limited time as well?
Old 12-28-2009, 08:59 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
Are you proficient with a bow now or will learning to shoot
be part of the limited time as well?
I have been shooting bow since I was 14 (although I don't go shoot that often) and I have been rifle hunting since I was 7.

This year I am motivated to get more into archery and bowhunting. I actually don't know a whole lot about scouting tactics, etc as my brothers and I always just drove the bush so my knowledge is limited.

I do need to refine my archery shooting, and there is a 20 yd archery lane that I can go to over lunch on workdays. Longer range targets I can only get to maybe once every second week perhaps.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Get get into the woods. Mornings will be tough since you haven't scouted. Your best bet is to hunt evening stands. Give yourself plenty of time to get out in the woods, scout for the fresh trails by reading the age of the tracks ie, that day, yesterday, two days ago... and get in the woods. This will be as much a learning experience as it is a hunting trip.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:29 AM
Typical Buck

Thumbs up

Vinney
So your new to bow hunting,I'm in Edmonton also and have 6 different parcels I hunt on. Pm me and I'll give you my phone number,I'll take you out if your interested and show you the tricks of the trade if your willing and we can hook up. Like you said ,if you only have 3 hours bi-weekly,that's a ton of time. I spend about that bi-weekly also ,but it's all year around,so in fact you will be logging a ton of time and you will be surprised at what you can learn just by scouting and spending time a field. The thing about bowhunting is time,you need to devote your time you have slotted and be adament about it. I'm on the south side of the city if your interested.
Rocky
Old 12-28-2009, 05:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Hey, I may have some biz up your way next year, can I invite myself along?