Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Man, late season bowhunting is tough, tips?

Old 12-21-2009, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
I actually got busted by a dopey little spike yesterday, how embarrassing. I cant seem to get anything in range, and when I do, all i can do is sit frozen and watch them feed under me. I had 5 does under me the other day and i couldnt even turn my head w/out them noticing, much less stand, grab my bow off the hook and draw. Ive tried to stand and get ready to draw while theyre off a ways, but as soon as they get within 60 yds, they just seem to pick me off, no matter how high and camo'ed up i am. Ive never bowhunted this late in the season, and I really underestimated how well deer can see w/ no tree cover whatsoever. Im going out all day tuesday, which is the last day of deer season here in NY, for 1 final attempt to fill my last tag. any tips on staying hidden? Thanks.
I have a fix for part of it, turn your stand and face the oppisite direction, so you're having the deer behind you so you can use the tree for a "shield" kind of thing.

Ryan.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

dare i say ground blind?

pop up cam tent?

lots of limbs infront of you, like les stroud does to "survive""

draw from the kneeling position and stand up?WHACK!!!

make 2 of them, one for mornin sun, and 1 for evenin sun..that way with the sun in the deers face its harder to see you...and its better if you have a "black hole"...meanin if you are where you anticipate the deer to be, and you look at your blind, it should look dark, and hard to see into.

scent is #1 of course.

they do make "nut crunchers"(huhuhu he said nut huhu) where ya squeeze em and they make a sound that the deer will eventually pass you of as a turbo size cricket or something..i have seen where they run off and then come right back, cause he kept crunchin it, givin this guy and his squeaky tree stand a chance to stand up, draw and shoot..lol although he did miss lol.

gl
Old 12-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Haha ,nutcrunchers?,I got no idea whatcha talking about there dude, but your making me laugh anyway, thanks