Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

QDM - Does kills - Doing the right thing

Old 12-20-2009, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MeanV2
I've said this for a long time. Why shoot a 1 1/2 old buck? If someone hasn't killed a buck before then Ok, but there should be a progression with the quality of Bucks you take. What if you go a year without tagging a buck? So What!!

There should be plenty of does around to Hunt. You want a challenge and an accomplisment to be proud of?

Kill an Alpha Doe!!

That's just what I plan on trying to do if my BowTech Destroyer comes in before season is out.

Dan
I agree....i would rather shoot a doe than kill a small buck any year!
Old 12-20-2009, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

But I will add for they ney sayers of QDM...I am a firm believer in it. When we first started hunting the area that we hunt there were so many deer it was unbelievable. There was not a time we went out and did not see 20-30 deer. But in those they were so tiny. The does didn't weigh much more than 75lbs and buck were poor. After 6-7 yrs we are seeing less deer but the ones that we see are much heathier and are much bigger. The does now weigh 100 lbs give or take a little. Bucks are heavier and look much better. It does work. I don't care if you have 10 acres or 10,000 acres if you are a firm believer in it, the surrounding neighbors will somewhat join in.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think whether QDM works or not is irrelevant. If you truly believe in it, just do it. why would anyone feel the need to preach it to others, who will most likely never step foot within 100 miles, of anywhere you hunt? Seems to me, people who preach QDM are simply trying to put themselves in the advanced hunter camp.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:11 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
I think whether QDM works or not is irrelevant. If you truly believe in it, just do it. why would anyone feel the need to preach it to others, who will most likely never step foot within 100 miles, of anywhere you hunt? Seems to me, people who preach QDM are simply trying to put themselves in the advanced hunter camp.
I don't put myself in an "advanced hunter camp." I also don't think it's "preaching" when we have a discussion about QDM. As a hunter, I want to learn as much as possible about deer and various management tactics. And I've seen first hand the results of managing a herd and letting little bucks walk-- again, on a marginal tract of land.

I guess this is what it comes down to: if you're in it, like I am, to shoot a mature buck, then you can't shoot every spike that walks by. If you're in it for some other reason, then do whatever you want.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Now I'm assuming the option being discussed here is whether to take a doe or a small buck for meat, given a longer term goal of increasing the odds of harvesting a large buck.

My answer would be that it depends. If the overall population is very low, i.e. the habitat will support a much larger population, then shoot the small buck. Allowing the does to pass pretty much ensures a larger overall population of deer and consequently more buck. I'm always surprised when some hunters seem to think that shooting doe has no impact on future buck numbers and it follows future big buck numbers.

Now if the overall populion is high, i.e. near or above capacity, then the primary concern changes to controlling overall numbers in an attempt to avoid starvation and a potentially drastic reduction in overall numbers. Harvesting the doe clearly would be the best choice in this case.

Oh, I should add that I didn't read the whole thread so I appoligize if I'm just posting a duplicate opiniion...
Old 12-21-2009, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Brian K
I don't put myself in an "advanced hunter camp." I also don't think it's "preaching" when we have a discussion about QDM.
when people say "why shoot little buck" and "if you want meat shoot a doe" I call that preaching. Why do you need to discuss it anyway? if you believe in it , then you must already know what its about, so just do it and stop preaching to others what their goals should be. If I hunted w/ someone on the same property, and they continually shot small bucks, I would never in a million years preach, or even suggest to them, that they should hold out for a bigger one, why? its none of my business! If I want to influence someone, I show them by example what they can have if they hold out, and if that person decides to follow suit , then thats their choice too.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:20 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
I'll take you up on that offer sir! Careful not to let your mouth write a check your butt can't cash!

My name is Bryan Anderson, and many members on this forum as well as others have hunted with me over the years! I've lived and hunted here in Fulton county all my life. I've taken numerous bucks that have scored from 140" to 179" which I've shared photos and stories of with many members here. However, even more importantly, I'm even better known for the mature bucks that I have helped/guided other hunters to! So I ask YOU..... how would you like to start to compare our trophy rooms ?!? I've earned a respected reputation as a hunter of mature whitetail and a Pro Staffer for several companies and I can assure you I practice what I preach!

Now... what say you, big mouth?

I've found that people who have to tell you how respected they are, typically aren't as respected as they believe themselves to be!
Old 12-21-2009, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

I've passed on two "smaller" bucks this year. One was killed by a guy in my hunting camp. I was mad about it....in fact it was nice to see how happy he was with his little eight point. I do my part and take mature bucks, and kill does. I dont sweat it if someone else kills the deer i let walk, I just hope they get enjoyment out of it.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:58 AM
Fork Horn

Personally I think if you choose to do QDM on the land you hunt, whether you own it, lease it, or just have land owners perm. that is completely your choice. But why in the heck would you care what the guy across the street is doing. The topic says" QMD doing the right thing" as if doin it any other way is wrong. And to me that just don't fly. Hunt how you want, practice QMD all day long, thats great. Just don't get on here and tell some other hunter that your way is right and his is wrong. There is no right or wrong as long as its legal!! I'm happy for those who have, by the grace of god the health and the ability to get out and enjoy each hunt. Its a true blessing... Don't Ruin It With Your Preaching!
Old 12-21-2009, 01:39 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed

I just can't believe that hunters in their 30's, 40's and 50's wouldn't be able to see the light. Man, how boring would that be, to go ot and shoot the most naive and easily killed deer in the entire herd.... every year without wanting to make it more? Maybe it's just the fact that many feel that they need to hurry and kill the first yearling buck they see, that way they can hurry back to the local tavern and brag to everyone that they got their "buck"! SAD state of affairs if you ask me!

This isn't debate and this is one of the problems I have with the whole QDM thing. Why do you get to decide what others consider a quality deer hunt? You make a lot of generalizations in that paragraph all the while putting other hunters down because their thoughts don't line up with yours. There is nothing in that paragraph that would indicate that QDM leads to bigger deer and a healthier herd.

That whole paragraph is a sad state of affairs and makes you appear as one with a superiority complex. So what is the debate? QDM is good for the herd in general? QDM grows bigger bucks? Those that don't practice QDM are unethical, uneducated and less of a hunter? All of the above?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.