Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

QDM - Does kills - Doing the right thing

Old 12-19-2009, 07:03 PM
Spike

I've been on this site a little under a month and this topic has come up 3 times now How many times can you beat a dead horse I havent been hunting long (first year actually) I hunt an hour or 2 a day and that was about it I would have dropped anything that came into range I was blessed with a nice size buck but if the little forkhorn that I saw the day b4 would have come into range you bet I would have shot it read the story in january's deer anddeer hunting and it might give some of you trophy hunters a new perspective
Old 12-19-2009, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by diamondrack
And people like cornfed may say well thats why you don't have any mature "big" bucks, well I say lets compare trophy rooms!!
I'll take you up on that offer sir! Careful not to let your mouth write a check your butt can't cash!

My name is Bryan Anderson, and many members on this forum as well as others have hunted with me over the years! I've lived and hunted here in Fulton county all my life. I've taken numerous bucks that have scored from 140" to 179" which I've shared photos and stories of with many members here. However, even more importantly, I'm even better known for the mature bucks that I have helped/guided other hunters to! So I ask YOU..... how would you like to start to compare our trophy rooms ?!? I've earned a respected reputation as a hunter of mature whitetail and a Pro Staffer for several companies and I can assure you I practice what I preach!

Now... what say you, big mouth?
Old 12-19-2009, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't usually attack posters, but just this once, it needs to be done.

Congratulations, Cornfed, you have won the biggest a** award. Since you are the biggest loser, don't let it go to your head that we praise everything that you have to say the gospel of deer hunting.

Many people are meat hunters, as I am. I don't have hundreds of acres of private land to hunt on.

I have to hunt public land, so I shoot the first legal deer I see. Whether I see that deer on opening day or the last day.
After I shoot that deer I stop hunting, as do many people after they fill their tag for the season.

Last edited by sconnyhunter; 12-19-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

sconnyhunter;

Many people are meat hunters, as I am. I don't have hundreds of acres of private land to hunt on.
No problem with that. However, isn't it the "meat hunters" that tell me that you cant eat the antlers??? Maybe te antlers of yearlins bucks are smll eough that you can somehow digest them??? Then why shoot them at all... is ya can't eat them then? I know if you're a "meat hunter" than you must shoot a LOT of deer every year... correct? I mean, it's gonna take a LOT more than a lil' yearling buck to feed your family all year long! I know I generaly take 8 to 12 Does a year.... isn't that meat hunting??? huh?

I have to hunt public land, so I shoot the first legal deer I see. Whether I see that deer on opening day or the last day.
After I shoot that deer I stop hunting, as so many people after they fill their tag for the season.
Boy, that must be real fun and exciting for ya ?!? I have never looked at hunting as a chore..... it's pure FUN and enjoyment for me and my family. Obviously we hunt for entirely different reasons! Of course, with your kill 'em all attitude, is it realy no wonder why you don't receive any invites to hunt private property?
Old 12-19-2009, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cornfed, I have tens of thousands of acres of public land here to hunt so you can keep your private land all to yourself.

I come from a tradition of one deer per hunter per year. Congratulations on being able to kill as many as you want. I don't want to kill that many as it means that much more work processing, and make me that much more of a game hog. Though I don't know the specifics of the deer herd in you area. Here, the herd cannot support the kind of harvest of which you speak\practice.

If you think that you are a good hunter by the number of deer you kill per year, I invite you to come hunt here with me. On public ground, in northern WI.
You will be ground up and spit out by the areas I hunt every year.
No four wheelers, or tractors just you and what you can carry in and out on your back every day.

If you so choose to accept my offer, PM me, and we can make arrangements.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:45 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I really don't care what others shoot. If a spike makes them happy than I'm glad they have enjoyed their time in the outdoors sharing a sport that I love. I think it is pretty self serving to criticize others for doing something completely legal.

This whole QDM argument is detrimental to hunting as a whole. United we stand and divided we fall. It is a true statement and this issue is very divisive. It isn't going to get any better, especially with the popularity of the various television programs.

The QDM stuff might get a little better reception if the true intentions of QDM were made public and expressed. I think it would also help in the form of discussion if one side were not put on the defensive from the start in most of these threads.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:45 AM
Spike

Default Fine Line

Double Edged sword.

If you want more people to join the sport then you have to let them shoot whatever to keep them interested.

If you do the QDM you have to have the state step in to regulate. Which who knows what will happen.

If you don't do anything finding that monster buck will be very hard. But possible.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Frosty452
I've been on this site a little under a month and this topic has come up 3 times now How many times can you beat a dead horse
some guys just never let an opportunity go to beat their chests and put down what others shoot, its an ego trip."i shoot monster bucks in the mid west, now bow before me, you pittyful eastern basket rack shooters"

why else would they care what someone a thousand miles away shoots?
Old 12-20-2009, 05:57 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
I'll take you up on that offer sir! Careful not to let your mouth write a check your butt can't cash!

My name is Bryan Anderson, and many members on this forum as well as others have hunted with me over the years! I've lived and hunted here in Fulton county all my life. I've taken numerous bucks that have scored from 140" to 179" which I've shared photos and stories of with many members here. However, even more importantly, I'm even better known for the mature bucks that I have helped/guided other hunters to! So I ask YOU..... how would you like to start to compare our trophy rooms ?!? I've earned a respected reputation as a hunter of mature whitetail and a Pro Staffer for several companies and I can assure you I practice what I preach!

Now... what say you, big mouth?
So what you are saying is that your basically an oufitter that probably has 3,000-5,000 acres of land to hunt as you please, see I only have 250 acres and have killed bucks into the high 160's range. I have about a dozen or so over 125", which 5 are over 140" and 2 in the 160's.. All have been killed on this piece of property the "WE OWN" it and don't lease from others to fit my clients in on them.. Oh and if you are a "so called" guide then why in the hell are you killing that quality of bucks on the the properties that people pay you "way to much for" to take them.. You get to hunt in the heart of big buck country and 90% of everyone else on the forum and in the general hunting public doesn't, so you should pull that stick out of your ass and realize that your not gods gift to hunting!! Take all of that property and access away and you would be either eating your take for years to come and or shooting spikes and fork horns!!!

Although I have had some great success I will NEVER degrade a hunter for what they want to shoot, because its their right to pick and choose their way of hunting.. Whether that means small bucks, does, or even being a trophy hunter its their choose.. I am sick of people like "CORNFED" mocking others that share in the same passion as they do..

Big mouth or not, I'm still a better person and outdoorsman because I respect all hunters that enjoy this awesome passion of hunting, Cornfed that would make you what???
Old 12-20-2009, 06:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't consider myself a Trophy hunter at all, nor do I have access to huge parcels of private ground to hunt. I have 3 different 40 acres spots, and share this 120 acres with 2 crossbow hunters, 2 other bow hunters, and at least that many more Gun Hunters.
I hunt to satisfy my own goals and I'm not really worried about anyone elses. If I want meat I shoot a Doe. Why would I shoot anything else? I can't eat the tiny rack from the dumbest Whitetail in the woods, well maybe a button buck is I won't shoot a Buck unless I plan to honor him by being displayed as a shoulder mount or at least a European mount.
If a Hunter kills something and is proud of it then I never fail to congratulate them. Just don't think that those of us that choose to be more selective in our harvest are arrogant or something because we tend to pass up a lot of deer while you prefer to shoot the 1st one.
It would have to be a Monster for me to shoot the 1st one I saw as I enjoy the hunt almost as much as the kill
I Thank God that I am blessed to live in a state that has a nice Whitetail herd and I can get 2 Buck tags and as many antlerless as I care to shoot each year. I've never hunted Wisconsin, but I've hunted enough states and provinces to know I can hold my own against anyone in strange territory without embarassment.
If you shoot little forkhorns to eat, Congrats!! You shouldn't run anyone down, Cornfed, Me, or anyone else for being a little more selective.
After all we all Love the same sport!!

Dan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.