Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Trail Cameras!

Old 12-20-2009, 09:40 PM
Fork Horn

thanks everyone you guys or gals are always helpful...... good luck to the people whos season is still going are about to start !
Old 12-21-2009, 02:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Everybody can talk all they want to about cheap cameras or high dollar cameras. I use Reconyx cameras an have three of them.

The real issue with operating a camera in 0 temps for a long period of time is not the camera but the batteries. Get a good set of rechargeables to go along with your camera of choice.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:12 PM
Spike

Opened up a can of worms, didn't ya?

MY preference is the ScoutGuard 550. I've used a number of different cameras over the years and have several of the SG's. Small, great battery life, loads of clear pictures and video, easy to set up.

For night shots, be mindful of aiming properly and distance. Other than that, no problems at all.

Good luck with whatever one you go with and Great Hunting!
Old 12-26-2009, 04:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default I use

Moultree ifra red. Own two of them for two years now. Seem to do a good job. $179.00 If it should get stolen it doesnt kill the pocket book.

If you think it will get stolen. Mount it in the tree high.
Attached Thumbnails Trail Cameras!-picture-791.jpg   Trail Cameras!-mdgc0081.jpg  
Old 12-26-2009, 06:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

In Trail Cams you do what you pay for. If you don't have the money to spend on a good cam I guess any Cam is better than none.

I have owned Cuddeback, Bushnell, & Moutries, but once I started using Homebrews built by a friend I sold All my other cams. They are not cheap by the time you buy everything to build one with, but trigger speed and quality pics are as good as it gets. He builds most of the cams for me using Sony P41 cameras.

Lithium batteries are definitely the way to go. When I was running 2 cams in Nebraska earlier this month, the cams were filling the 512mb cards up with over 260 pics in temps well below zero. Battery life was still good even after that many pics and many using the flash. They only take 2 AA batteries as well.

Dan
Old 12-26-2009, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Big Daddy12T....I guess I shouldn't laugh but seeing that camera still taking pictures as the water rises just makes me think that that Moultrie was not giving up no matter what! Did You get any Fish pictures as it went under water? Hmmmmmm?

I have the Moultrie I-60 camera and It has a very fast trigger speed,it takes some really great IR night pictures and I can set on video and get some really good video of what the Deer are really doing around my area...even got a picture of a Doe running/jumping past my camera and a pic of a Doe kicking a young Spike Buck right in the head!I have read reviews about the the Cuddebacks and Moultrie Camera's and I have read bad reviews about both also,if your going to buy an expensive camera I suggest getting it from a reliable Dealer/Supplier and keep your receipts,all these camera's have good and bad qualities and some of us can't aford to drop $400-$500.00 for a high-dollar camera so we try to find one thats affordable and does a decent job.I bought the Cuddeback CaptureIR Camera and had nothing but trouble with it,poor performance,lousy pic quality and it had all kinds of issues with quality.

About the best way to go would be to build your own quality trail camera,you can get most of the parts through Hags House and build it the way you would want a camera to perform to your specs.I believe their are called Pelican cases and you can buy a digital camera of your choice to use.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

I have had such success with my Moultrie I40 that I just bought another one.