Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The Block

Old 06-06-2003, 04:12 PM

Default RE: The Block

Like mine, 2 years and going. I shoot only a few BH thru it to check if they are flying good then back to field tips. Good money well spent.
Old 06-25-2003, 05:53 AM

I posted on another thread about having trouble with my arrows penetrating almost through a new block target. In retrospect , it was a friends and now I' m not for sure if it was a Blackhole or a Block.

Anyway after reading this thread I decided to try one myself and I am pleased so far. It is stopping my arrows very well and I am shooting a 352 grain arrow @ 296 currently. Just thought I would let ya' ll know !
Old 06-25-2003, 08:58 AM

i agree with LAhunter. Stay away from the Black hole. It doesnt hold up. I shoot every day, and within about 3 weeks, my target was shot(no pun intended). I tried puttin it back together and compressing it but it didnt work. The block is a great target, should last a long time. As for me, i buy a bag target to shoot cause they last so long, and then when it comes time to really do some broadhead tuning, i just go to wally world and buy one of there $15 foam targets to shoot brodheads only. Im cheap. But, for a one target to last a lifetime, the block should be good.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

As far as broadheads go I haven' t found anything that will stand up to the daily grind that broadheads put a target through for any great length of time.

That being said I have had 3 block targets (not counting a ' black hole' ) over the last five years. I would give two of them good ratings. The second one I had never made it through the summer. (It was the smaller of the ones offered.) I was so disappointed in it that I notified the company and told them. The replied by telling me they had gotten some bad material and replaced the target which has held up more in line with what I experienced on the first one. If I was to make a recommendation it would be to get the largest one you can. The extra shooting space helps them to last longer.

As far as the black hole target goes, because it is narrower it stands to reason that it is going to be shot out in no time if one uses it a lot.

I have heard good things about Morrell' s Carbon Six Shooter. That will probably be my next broadhead target to experiment with.
Old 06-26-2003, 04:07 AM

Here' s a tip to make foam layer targets, like the Block, last longer. Turn the target on its side so that the layers are vertical. As your arrow enters the target it is less likely to penetrate multiple layers. It is more likely to squeeze between two layers, especially if you are practicing from elevated treestand situations.