Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another Deer Down (Story and Pics) Long Read

Old 12-04-2009, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default Another Deer Down (Story and Pics) Long Read

So we went out to check one of our properties that we acquired about three years ago to check the trail cams and see just how well the management process had been going; as this property has not been hunted by us yet, we are trying to maximize the population and better manage the bucks.

What we saw astounded even us, there were deer absolutely everywhere! Though many hunters would kill for such a honey hole, we figured that we would have to thin the herd a little, in order to sustain the bucks and other deer through the winter and with luck we still had 6 landowner tags to fill.

So to make a long story a little shorter, I grabbed a set of sticks and one of my trusty hang-ons and took a short walk through the woods and came across a great trail that had been heavily used. I set the stand up about 14 feet off the ground and backed out; knowing that the stand I just set had the potential to bring one of these big guys by (see first two trail cams).

Fortunately I didn't get to see any of these bucks, as I was on a management hunt looking for 5 1/2 year old mature bucks, and would have had to pass regardless (I guessed them to be 4 1/2 at the oldest on the hoof). So, I didn't see any old bucks, which was not to my surprise, when we bought the property there were plenty of young deer. So I turned my head toward some does.

I had gotten into my stand on Saturday morning at about 5:30 am and was expecting early movement; sure enough, I had only been in the stand about 20 minutes before the first deer started moving towards the turnip and clover plots on the south 40 acres. After first light I continued to see deer, seeing 2 yearlings sprouting at least 6 points and 1 championing a nice 8 point rack, I began to get excited. (The next few years are gonna be great!)

The movement slowed as 7:30am rolled around, so I decided to use the bleat can. I turned over my Primo's can and gave out three bleats. About 3 minutes later I heard a crunch out to my 5 o'clock, I slowly turned to see the grand champion of excitement busters; the squirrel. Disappointed I turned back to my front and saw just a little movement; it was more than enough. I gave out two more soft bleats, and it started toward me and a nice pace. Figuring I would have more than enough time to prepare, I stood up and got my feet into a comfortable position. The deer cut across and disappeared into the brush and I anticipated it would pop out about 35 yards from me broadside.

Sure enough, it shot out from the underbrush and stopped broadside at 32 yards. I drew back and took aim, it took a step forward and and began walking right at me. I slowly turned with it. After holding my draw for what seemed like ten minutes I settled the 10 yard pin right behind the shoulder and aimed through the deer right at the sweet spot. I inched the trigger on the release and the release snapped open, setting into motion a myriad of events, the arrow leaving the rest and the deer jumping to almost a full quarter at me. I saw the arrow hit and after the initial flow of adrenaline replayed the shot in my head and saw that I had shot at too much of an angle, possibly missing the vitals.

I climbed out of the stand and walked back to the truck disgusted that I may have just gut grazed this deer and may never find him. I went back home and watched the thermometer slowly rise to more bearable temperature; a great 39 degrees. I got back out about 4 hours later and began to track. The blood trail went left, the blood trail went right, the blood trail would have went up if this deer could fly! After about 800 yards I was beginning to think that the hit was really bad, I continued on the blood trail and found my deer.

The unfortunate thing is that the deer was actually a button buck, not a doe as originally thought, but the hunt was incredible and the tracking even more so. Though this was not my biggest deer I have ever shot, the hunt was just as rewarding.

Good Luck to you all who still have tags left; my window to shoot my big buck is closing fast. Keep watching; who knows, I may just get a chance at him soon.
Attached Thumbnails Another Deer Down (Story and Pics) Long Read-trail-cam-1.jpg   Another Deer Down (Story and Pics) Long Read-trailcam-2.jpg   Another Deer Down (Story and Pics) Long Read-deer.jpg  
Old 12-04-2009, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on a good hunt but my question is you couldn't tell before you shot that was a button? Seems pretty obvious it me. Not slamming you but if you're intensley managing your land that's a big mistake.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

I will get a picture of the skull, the buttons were barely bumps on the skull. I didn't feel them when I first took the picture on the top of his head, but when I rolled him over... Different story!
Old 12-04-2009, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't mind him IOWA, by the sound of it you didn't hurt this property that much if at all. Every one makes that mistake sooner or later. Here's to a great story and a great hunt!
Old 12-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Typical Buck

You saying...I slowly turned to see the grand champion of excitement busters; the squirrel.

Totally awesome, dirty little buggers. Also, glad you found your deer and some nice looking prospects for this year and beyond
Old 12-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Spike

Don't mind him, he obviously doesn't know how hard it is to tell a button buck from a doe, especially in the heat of the moment, congrats on a successful hunt and hopefully you will get a chance at a big one!!!
Old 12-04-2009, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

great deer. congrats and nice job. those are some great bucks too