Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Late season tactics

Old 12-03-2009, 06:14 PM
Spike

Default Late season tactics

Ok...My wife and I have decided to make a return trip to Pike County, IL on the 13th of December. This will be the first time I will be hunting up there late in the season. Any suggestions on what I should be doing different then early November?

Thanks
Old 12-04-2009, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Find the food and you should find the deer
Old 12-06-2009, 10:26 AM
Fork Horn

iv been out here where I live and I have been talking to everyone and they have been saying they havent seen anything. Iv been seeing does and saw a buck last night. You gotta find thick cover and where there is ffood to.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MOhunter46
Find the food and you should find the deer
Thats exactly right! Also, with the seasons first winter weather hitting us here in Illinois by the middle of this week (6" to 12"), we should have plenty of snow and cold temps to get the deer keying on the areas best food sources. You could be in for some good hunting if you can fight the cold and spend the needed hours in the stands. Good luck
Old 12-06-2009, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Head to the major food source, and look for some big buck tracks. Find the trail(s) they are using, and follow it until you get to some thick nasty bedding cover. Make sure the wind is right and set up.

Chances are the big boys are a bit skiddish with the gun seasons just wrapping up, and won't be to willing to show themselves during daylight By setting up tight to some cover, you may be able to catch him getting out of his bed for a late night snack.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:44 AM
Spike

Thanks guys....we are going to give it a shot.