Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My string keeps hitting my arm???

Old 05-31-2003, 04:35 PM

Default My string keeps hitting my arm???

When I release on my shot, my bowstring keeps hitting my forearm. I use a armguard but why does it do this? Is it because the draw length is too long or what??
Old 05-31-2003, 04:38 PM

Default RE: My string keeps hitting my arm???

Bend your elbow slightly. It works for me . . . and OH when I forget . . . OUCH!
Old 05-31-2003, 06:34 PM

Very often it is either a drwlength problem as you stated or a locked elbow/deep grip problem.

Use a very slight bend in the elbow and get the grip more onto the thumb side of your lifeline with your nuckles at about a 45 deg. angle.

Or......shorten that draw
Old 05-31-2003, 08:25 PM

micdundee

Once you do what DC and Rack say, try this simple test.

When your in your shooting stance, move your right foot (if you are right-handed) a half to a full foot-length forward and then shoot. It is not an absolute test, but if the string stops slapping your arm, most likely your draw-length is too long.

Old 05-31-2003, 08:37 PM

Slight bend at the elbow works for me too. Maybe you should try it also......Hope it works! The draw lenght is probably the next thing to check...
Old 05-31-2003, 08:58 PM
Typical Buck

[]Hurts don' t it![]
Old 05-31-2003, 09:18 PM
Fork Horn

First thing that came to mind was that the drawlength was too long. I have used a more open stance and slight bent elbow to keep from doing it but I think this is more of a fix to the problem then a cure to it. I noticed that I would also hit more to the left (RH shooter) when it was too long also. If you can shorten the draw I' d try that and see how it works.
Old 06-01-2003, 07:46 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-01-2003, 09:12 AM

Check your brace height. I was having the same problem and it turned out to be string stretch. I twisted the string to bring the brace height back into specs (which shortened the draw length) and all is well now. My arm is almost healed and the flinching is less every day!
Old 06-01-2003, 02:31 PM

I agree with all the advice you have received here. My own testimony is - I was getting string slap for years and wore an arm guard and declared that my draw length was perfect but after reading some posts here on the board I decided to try shortening my draw length by 1" . What a difference! I don' t get string slap at all, I shoot much better, I flinch much less, and for the first time the bow ' feels right' . Good luck.

Quick Reply: My string keeps hitting my arm???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.