Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My string keeps hitting my arm???

Old 06-01-2003, 08:41 PM

Default RE: My string keeps hitting my arm???

Shortening my drawlength helped me, but more than that, do what Rack said. Move your bow out away from the center of your palm. Hold it more on the ball of your thumb and cock your wrist a little. Hope this helps, I know how bad it hurts.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:40 PM
voz
Fork Horn

An ' ole timer once told me to fold my pinky and ring finger in, and hold the bow with the index, midle, and thumb.... I don' t hit my arm, and I don' t have to bend my arm. I' ve built a nice calus on my ring finger, and I' ve shot much better.. I believe that as long as you do the same thing everytime.....you will shoot consistantly...same with a pistol, or rifle. Shooting is a physical thing...change the least from shot to shot, and you will be more..consistant....and if you are consistant, you can get yourself to the center of the target. Just my opinion...good luck.
Old 06-04-2003, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

There could be MANY reasons for your problem-I was a pro shooter for 20 years & have been an avid Archer/Bowhunter 45 years.
Draw your bow, anchor & then while at full draw rotate your elbow out about a quarter turn (easy to do at full draw). You will be able to shoot WITHOUT a arm guard after a little practice & you will start doing it without thinking about it after a little practice. You may want to use an arm guard hunting to hold your cloths out of the way. I don' t 7 have no problems. Good luck.
Old 06-05-2003, 02:49 PM

Shorten your draw. You' re hitting your forearm because you' re overextending your arm to fully draw your bow. Take an inch off, and you will see how much better you shoot. You may lose a couple fps, but you will be MORE stable at full draw and will be able to more carefully aim.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:21 PM
Fork Horn

I would also agree and tell you to shorten your draw by an inch.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:26 PM
TJD
Fork Horn

One other thing that helped me: hold the bow more loosely in your hand. I had the same problem due to holding it too tight and torqueing the bow out. Try drawing it with your hand more open and slowly close for a very light grip.

Not that the other suggestions here are bad ones, but this one requires no resetting of your bow and no money spent.

Good Luck!