Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

the worst thing about knee surgery!!!!

Old 11-08-2009, 09:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default the worst thing about knee surgery!!!!

ok so the good thing is, i already shot my buck this year.. but i had planned on being on stand every day i could anyway so i could watch my deer, learn about them, take out a few fat does, and mostly because my stands are where i love to be.

all of that kinda went out the window when i tore my miniscus in my last football game this year of my senior season.. i probably have about a month till im fully recovered from my surgery i had last tuesday, and less than that until i can hop my way out to the woods lol.. but this is killing me. i had the same surgery last year after football, just before our ohio rut kicked in..

so what do y'all do when you cant make it to the woods? ive just been watchin huntin shows and readin magazines, maybe figuring out what santa might be bringin from cabelas haha..
Old 11-08-2009, 10:45 AM
Spike

Sorry to hear about your injury, I tore my ACL/LCL last February while skiing. Had it reconstructed in May and many months of rehab followed. That knee was killing me last night after hiking in my stand and hunting all day yesterday. The meniscus repair will heal quickly and you'll be back at it soon.

Buy lots of hunting magazines, work on/clean your bow and guns, buy some topo maps, jump on Google Earth or Garmin Topo etc. Review all of your hunting spots on the maps, analyze the terrain and plot the deer travel areas, feeding patterns, bedding areas. You'd be surprised, even in an area you've hunted for awhile, you can learn something new every time you step back and rethink it.

Plan out a late season hunt (I don't know how Ohio works, but PA has a late bow season from Late Dec to mid Jan.). Try to get a hunt or two late this year just to get back at it. And remember, football is fun, but hunting will give back long after football is gone. Good luck!
Old 11-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry to hear that. I tore some cart. A few years ago. It will be two years jan 7th since surgery. A year this dec since i found out i got arthritis from the surgery. It took me a month to get off the crutches though it was mainly because of my high weight. It hurt alot so i know how you feel. Though i still have issues between the arthritis and general pain it sucks but better then climbing down from a stand and my knee locking up. Heck i would drive some where and if i need to brake i would brake then pick my leg up with my hand to move it back to the gas. As my knee would want to lock up. All in all it is better then before.
Hope you get better and hope it gets you back to 100%. Let us know how it goes.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:07 PM
Typical Buck

I needed partial knee replacement 3 years ago . I waited until spring to have the surgery done . I told the surgeon that I wanted to be able to rehab the knee so I could get in & out of a treestand and be able to drag a deer out of the woods . He said no more climbing ladders . YEAH RIGHT !
I followed the Therapist's orders , rehabbed and now I can drag deer and climb in and out of treestands . So at 68 , i'm doing okay !
Old 11-08-2009, 03:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ya my shoulder is mess up fell last winter on ice. The doctor told me two weeks ago to stop shooting my bow till it got better. Ya thats going to happen. I told him it hurt this summer with no shooting. I then told him gun season would be hear soon and i would switch.
He said no shooting a rifle bigger then a 22.

Thats going to happen. I want to a rifle just a muzzleloader.
Originally Posted by Ed McDonald
I needed partial knee replacement 3 years ago . I waited until spring to have the surgery done . I told the surgeon that I wanted to be able to rehab the knee so I could get in & out of a treestand and be able to drag a deer out of the woods . He said no more climbing ladders . YEAH RIGHT !
I followed the Therapist's orders , rehabbed and now I can drag deer and climb in and out of treestands . So at 68 , i'm doing okay !