Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

if this happened what would you do?

Old 11-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Spike

Default if this happened what would you do?

say your hunting and for some reason your up in the stand and you notice your string loop is unattached or cut what would you do?if you shot your bow by placing your release under the arrow how much would it throw off your shot?WHAT KIND OF EQUIPTMENT FAILURES HAVE YOU GUYS SUFFERED FROM IN THE PAST?
Old 11-08-2009, 03:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good question on the loop. Time to practice that today.

My initial thoughts are if you anchor the same, the peep should be off from your anchor and it will through your shot off slightly low. However, if you properly look through your peep and adjust the anchor for the different connection....

Again, time to practice that today. I'll report back.

The only equipment failure I had was on a rest that was modified to fit my bow. We machined a new base on the rest (Bodoodle Pro 500) to fit the bow I was shooting at the time as the manufactured base didn't fit it.

While on a bear hunt in Quebec, I noticed my rest was loose. (Left/Right). I pushed it in so that it was snug, checked it all over for center shot etc... and luckily no bears showed that night. I shot it the next day to check and it was 6" off right.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does forgetting your release count?

An old deer hunter once advised me to practice shooting my rifle left handed. Practicing without a D-loop is similar and equally good advice. You never know what will happen in the field.

My only failure has been the rubber tubing for my peep which was easily repaired. Now, I use a tubeless peep.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

For me it would depend on where it broke or became untied at.. If it broke or was cut.. I would use the bottom tie in to anchor the top of my arrow against. Then I would place my release against the bottom of the arrow. This will most likely cause your arrow to shoot high. I am guessing 6 to 8 inches but I could be wrong on it. If the bottom tie came off I would use the top and expect it to shoot low with in the same range.. Now if it just came off I am not very sure what I would do in a case like that..
Old 11-08-2009, 05:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Eliminate those problems ahead of time. I use a pro-grip release, it grips the string above and below the knock. I also eliminated the peep many years ago, first by going with a prisim peep and now a red dot scope. Can tell you, I no longer worry about anything on my bow not ready to shoot.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

When i got my bow the guy who set it up put a loopon it. I asked him to. A few days later i was there shooting. The other bow guy said i should take it off so i am not hunting and it breaks. Well a hour later it came loose. SO he took it off and i shot without it. It did no diff in my shooting pins where still dead on. The next day when i came in to order my case the first guy reinstalled it. I did not care for the way it set without the loop. This is my third year shooting it hunting 4th year with the bow no proplem. If i was hunting and it came off i would keep hunting. Though practiceing it now sounds like a good idea.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

IMO, if my loop came loose or came off, I would pack my stuff up and leave the woods that day to find out the problem. I don't think I would shoot at a deer not knowing where the arrow would hit. My bow is tuned for everything in it's place, so without one of those components being where it should be, I wouldn't want to try a shot.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:13 AM
Fork Horn

Smile

Originally Posted by johnandmare
IMO, if my loop came loose or came off, I would pack my stuff up and leave the woods that day to find out the problem. I don't think I would shoot at a deer not knowing where the arrow would hit. My bow is tuned for everything in it's place, so without one of those components being where it should be, I wouldn't want to try a shot.
I would do the same thing.Not worth risking wounding an animal and losing it cause of equipment failure.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey stuff will happens in the field. It's happened to me (not the d-loop) but I've had equipment failure and if you haven't then you haven't been hunting very long. You have to make the determination to continue to hunt or call it quits for the day until you fix the problem.
The best prevention is to examine your equipment before heading out to the stand.