Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What Scents do you buy?

Old 11-04-2009, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What Scents do you buy?

So I was out re-stocking my stink baits for the next two weeks and I was wondering what most of you use?

I normally have used Golden Estrus doe urine and a buck bomb young buck scent for my decoys.

Well last night I went to wally world and Dick's and nethier had the buck bomb in youngbuck flavor So I ended up getting HS buck urine for $4-something (seems to be a fairly large bottle w/ spray top) and Tinks#69 doe in heat for $4.00. I figured this sure beats spending $23 on code blue/golden estrus products, but I'm not sure if with scents you get what you pay for?
Old 11-04-2009, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

try some good FRESH stuff from a farm...local or in the state or your region if you can...

i havent used the high dollar code blue or anything, but used the cheaper stuff off the shelves...it smells nothing like the stuff i buy from deer farms..and thats to my nose...and price is decent...well...i paid 13$ or something for i think 2oz of REAL estrous with secretions and everything..code blue is like double that price i believe...

ive seen VERY good results when i run my good stuff...bucks hound dogging drag lines...

i loved bow hunting before i started messing with scents and calls and getting results...now that i am getting results with scents and calls, its unexplainable...i always liked deer hunting...but it didnt have the interaction and was a sit and wait game...couldnt really MAKE anything happen...but now that i can, and have had bucks hound dog drags and RUN into calling, im deeply in love....

now that my tag is filled, i'll be doing some observing and playing with my scents and calls these next few weeks just to do it...
Old 11-04-2009, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

i think code blue is only $10 for a 2oz. bottle. i have been using code red which is made by code blue and is half the price. havent seen any results because the deer havent moved in the daytime lately
Old 11-04-2009, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've been using Buck Fever Synthetic Scents this year. It's been working well too.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

None, i think their all a waste of money.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

I'm with MO - NONE.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:08 AM
Typical Buck

James Valley all the way for me. I've been using it for over close to 17 years now and had nothing but total success with it.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:42 PM
Fork Horn

I have never had much luck with scents except as cover scents. Used a drag line with some doe urine once and only attracted does-no bucks. Lot of people use them religiously and have good luck but in my experience nothing beats simply knowing where the deer are. Then again maybe I dont know what I'm doing
Old 11-05-2009, 04:27 AM
Spike

Shot my first buck with a bow over some Tink's #69 in one of their stink bombs. It was Nov. 7th (05), he came in downwind of me on a line straight to the limb it was hanging on and turned broadside at 8 yds. I know quite a few people who have had success with Tink's, besides myself, that's why I use it. I don't understand why someone wouldn't use estrous this time of year... It's not like your estrous has to smell exactly like every doe where you hunt, and while I'm sure most estrous doesn't smell the same to us (I try not to compare them) All it takes is one cruising buck to get curious and there's your chance. My last bottle of Tink's even came with a free wick.. and pack of 4 wicks was maybe 2.49, not bad even if you don't use Tink's on them. Good Luck!
Old 11-05-2009, 04:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a friend lives about 2 miles down the road, and he has a deer herd. I use it because I know what it is and I know it's fresh!

Honestly if I had to buy stuff at Wally World I doubt I would use anything. I know for a fact a few horror stories about scent companies. Come on! Think about it!

Dan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.