Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow questions

Old 11-02-2009, 08:03 AM
Spike

Default Bow questions

New to bow hunting, i have only shot a compound bow a few times in my life, maybe when i was 10 or 11. I'm looking into getting my first on a very tight budget ($150 tops). so im shopping craigslist. and im left handed so that makes it a little bit harder to find one but im getting some decent looking results.

a few questions:

What size bow should i use?? im about 6'1 190lbs.
What draw weight would be preferable?

I found a Browning Brigadier II going for $75. Is this a good beginners bow? i love the price.

i will be hunting hogs on my dads 10 acre plot, shooting isnt allowed in his neigbborhood area, but the bows are silent so doubt there would be any complaints. I may use it for deer hunting in the future as well.

any help would be great thanks!
Old 11-02-2009, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

You need to determine your draw length. Go to an archery shop and ask them to help you figure it out.

You'd probably do OK starting with a bow that is adjustable between 50 and 70 lbs draw weight. Start at the low end and work up as you build strength and form.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:40 AM
Spike

yeah probably a good idea i really know nothing about bows. Any other beginners advice anyone has for what i should be looking for?
Old 11-02-2009, 09:42 AM
Spike

or does anyone have any comments/experience on browning bows, especially the brigadier II?
Old 11-02-2009, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

ya i would also go to shop to determine length because you want that fairly close! also whatever you get cheap you can make it work....my first bow had cams the size of gatorade cap and i still killed my 1st deer!