Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Slow here in Illinois

Old 11-02-2009, 06:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default Slow here in Illinois

Well guys this Illinois season has been something else so far this year. I go one day without seeing a deer and other hunts i see quite a few. Have been seeing alot of smaller bucks and keep seeing about a 120 but told myself that i was going to shoot nothing under 130. I have pics of 2 really great bucks (pushing 150) and had to pass on one because i wasnt comfortable with the shot. Not much rutting activity in my area yet but im sure its not far off. Have any of you other Illinois guys been having much luck?
Old 11-02-2009, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been shooting a bunch of does, but have yet to see any of "my" big boys from a stand. I am still getting pics of them, but almost all after dark. I figure this starting this week, things should start picking up. I plan on getting away from doe spots now and start hunting my pinch points and bedding areas. What county are you hunting?
Old 11-02-2009, 08:40 AM
Typical Buck

been shooting does as well.. saw one of the bucks I'm after while on stand friday night but he circled downwind and wouldnt come in closer than 50yds.. he knew something was up.. all my trail cam pics show them working the scrapes after dark.. I have TONS of pictures of bucks workin the scrapes.. 16 different ones to be exact.. but all after dark.. this standing corn is killin me!
Old 11-02-2009, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to wonder if you guys are "shooting a bunch of Does" from that same stands that you're NOT seeing bucks out of. If they seem nocturnal... I wonder why???

All kidding aside though, it has been slower than normal for this stage of the pre-rut but the weather has been crazy and millions of acres of standing corns in the state certainly isn't helping matters. My best farm is surrouded by 700 acres of corn and it's made things frustrating at best. Did have a 130 class 4x4 bust up a Doe group yesterday and ran them 20 yards past my stand. He was the 4th buck of the morning, but nothing of any size. Scrapes have really been torn up this past week as they prepare for the first Doe to enter Estrus..... any day now.

Good luck to you fellow Illini bowbenders!
Old 11-02-2009, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ya this season can just go away and start over for all I care. I have only seen 4 bucks all year, It has to be the corn and the flash floods.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

The corn is up and they are hitting thier scapes during the night. My buddy saw a nice 8 just before dark on Sat. and Sun. morning I had a big 6 that I decide to pass on. Funny story...my buddy left his decoy out during the night (he shot a doe and didn't feel like going back to take the decoy down) anyway when he went back in morning his decoy was in pieces. It was probably the 8 he saw that tore it up.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:21 PM
Fork Horn

Being away at college I can only hunt the weekends, and that kills me. I have only seen one shooter so far this year. It has been pretty slow for me. I am pretty excited for this next weekend though! I will be spending the all Saturday and Sunday in the woods.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by kickin_buck
I have been shooting a bunch of does, but have yet to see any of "my" big boys from a stand. I am still getting pics of them, but almost all after dark. I figure this starting this week, things should start picking up. I plan on getting away from doe spots now and start hunting my pinch points and bedding areas. What county are you hunting?
How many does can you guys take there in Illinois?
Old 11-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unlimited does.

Definitely been slower than I expected. I'm off work all this week, but I think I may be a week early. Going out this morning, didn't need any kind of light since the moon was kind enough to show me the way. What a joke. Had a dorky forky come by at about 7:00, he intercepted a couple does that were on their way in and harassed them for a bit, and that was the action for the day. I bailed at 12, just to warm for my taste today.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Typical Buck

seeing plenty where I am at mostly does busted a few arrows and put some meat in the freezer going in the morning and the evening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.