Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is a pass through really the best thing.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

I prefer pass throughs
Old 10-29-2009, 06:06 PM
Dominant Buck

How do you discern how good or bad your hit was.....if you don't have an arrow? Regardless of which is "better"....I wanna know the answer to that.

I wonder if this could be that back then they used recurves or trad. bows with low weight and did not really deal with pass throughs much.
I shoot a (by many's standards) "low weight" recurve, and I'm 2-2 on pass-thrus, this season.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:09 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
I was talking with a friend of mine who is in his 70s. He did some hunting way back when like in the 50s or somewhere around that time. He told me 50 pounds was to much for deer hunting. I told him mine was set at 68 pounds. He told me that high and you get a pass through with little damage. he said if the arrows stays in it moves around while the deer runs doing alot of damage to the organs. I wonder if this could be that back then they used recurves or trad. bows with low weight and did not really deal with pass throughs much.
I have always been told a pass through is the best thing. Two holes twice the bleeding. Am i wrong. Or is he just an old fart who is still in the 50s.
Unless I read your post wrong, this guy has not been hunting in almost 60 years (you said he hunted in the 50's, not his 50s). Somebody that has been outta the game that long and obviously hunted as a teen/twentysomething is hardly someone I would take too seriously as far as hunting wisdom and knowledge goes.

As a side note, it is these older wiser members of society that introduced me to the notion of brush bucking calibers. Afetr some aging on my own it was just common sense that these mythical calibers don't exist.

What I am saying is it is one thing to respect your elders but it is another thing to think that just because the are older and "wiser" everything they say is automatically gospel.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I met a old guy hunting once, who had alot of "advice" too. He said I'd be smart to listen to him since he's killed more deer than anyone...over 30!
Old 10-29-2009, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pass through, for sure.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

I want my arrow, want to see what it looks like and I don't want it broke.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Z
The old man has his point. The animal will still be bleeding internally, even if it isn't pumping out, and it's gonna tear stuff up while it's in there. I would rather have the passthrough though. Darn sure they'll die plenty fast, but you'll have the added advantage of a better blood trail if they run somewhere hard to see 'em.
Id rather have a longer tracking job with a good blood trail than a little bit of blood, and possibly none...
Old 10-30-2009, 04:30 AM
Fork Horn

I agree, the past two seasons I was getting pass throughs I shot three deer and all of them died within sight. Now this season, I've hunted with my brother where he has shot two deer no pass throughs and I have shot one and did not get a pass through. It leads me to ask; what are the mechanics of a pass through everytime. The only thing that has changed in my set-up is my arrows, broadheads are the same and I sharpened them. Does the weight of the arrow make difference? I'm shooting a little lighter this year.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Big Z
The old man has his point. The animal will still be bleeding internally, even if it isn't pumping out, and it's gonna tear stuff up while it's in there.
Yes he does have a point to a point. If I make a not so good shot on a deer I wouldn't be to upset If my arrow was still In the deer (one hole). With that arrow getting thrashed and banged around It could do more cutting which could make the difference In getting your deer or not.

In the end though, pass throughs are what we strive for.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

What about shooting with your pants around your ankles. He have any advice about that? jk

You just stick it through the chest right behind the shoulder. That's what we're waiting to here you did. When the shot does come, make it first, then think about what everybody else will think. Focus on the job at hand, calmly and just as you'd practiced it. It's just a target standing there, hit it. You can get excited AFTER you put your hands on it or see it dead on the ground.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.