Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Drawing back...

Old 10-25-2009, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Drawing back...

i was hunting the other day and i had a doe eye balling me the whole time and would only look away for like 5 seconds...not long enough to draw back...i finally got half draw and had to go all the way and she saw me mid draw and spooked....i was just curious if there is any special way to draw back or a certain special time to do it....slowly draw back or as fast as you can....basically my question is how are you suppose to draw back without spooking the animal?
Old 10-25-2009, 01:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

She was staring at you because she knew you were there!! Normally when that happens it's too late to do anything. I draw when they are not focusing on me, I try to draw when they face away or walk behind a tree or any other obstruction. When hunting a feeder I draw when the reach down for corn.
I'm hunting Oklahoma next week, no feeder. I'll make a ground blind that I can see out, I'll draw before the cross my shooting lane. It all depends on the circumstance, the more you hunt the more you'll learn. Don't be afraid to let try different things, this is the only way to learn.

Last edited by The Rev; 10-25-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's no problem...Wait until they are looking the other way or the eyes go behind a tree...

You'll get the hang of it after a few years...

But, you'll still get busted no matter how long you bow hunt, keeps you humble...
Old 10-25-2009, 01:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by The Rev
She was staring at you because she knew you were there!! Normally when that happens it's too late to do anything.
Exactly! Once they get an idea (for whatever reason) something isn't quite right it's very tough to get away with drawing the bow. Obviously, make your moves ONLY when that deer's doing anything but looking in your direction.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

man i had the same thing happen to me many a times..it seems to me does are more warry than bucks..a doe will keep watchin..where as a buck will either bolt ot quit worrying about you and give you time..jmo..i practice at lest 5 hours a week durin the season in a dark room ..real quiet..and draw super slo..over and over..work that muscle, listenin to be quiet..now when i draw its really slo and smooth and i can stop 3/4 draw and hold if need be..fer a minute lol and finish the draw..i have does stompin and snortin at me..i jus move with the rest of the trees, standin dead still when the wind blows is a ded givaway..imo..also i hold the bow bak fer long periods of time, even if it means a bad shot, i wanna work my muscles fer the time when i have to hold it fer that wicket buk who walks out.

Last edited by halfbakedi420; 10-25-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
It's no problem...Wait until they are looking the other way or the eyes go behind a tree...

You'll get the hang of it after a few years...

But, you'll still get busted no matter how long you bow hunt, keeps you humble...
Very true. You will figure it out after you get busted a handfull of times...

If I have no cover around me that the deer will go behind, you either have to risk drawing slowly and spooking them, or if they are close enough, draw quickly and shoot quickly if you are confident in being able to do that... I wouldnt recommend it, but sometimes it works...

Try to plan ahead and presume where the deer that you are watching is going to walk so you can have a game plan on where you want to draw back.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

well my first year i had one spot me I reached and he saw me do it. I lifted my bow off the hook he saw me. When he moved i came to draw and turn to get it on him. A 90 degree turn at draw. It was not fun it did work. Tell he went behind a tree and i let it go when leting my draw off. I had a similer thing happen this year. But this time i came to draw before she walked out behind the set of bushes that was between us. a good 1 1/2 minutes at draw.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

alright very good posts....i had always planned on drawing back when they were looking away or behind a tree....this is the first animal i had in range in my bow hunting career tho haha but anyways slow and quiet is better then fast and quiet drawing back correct? i guess i will have to try to do it slow...i usually draw back medium...