Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broken arrow?

Old 10-24-2009, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Broken arrow?

Anyone ever have a carbon arrow break when you shot a deer?It was a shoulder 1/4 to me shot,the bottom half passed through and as the deer walked off the top part fell out of her.I'm shooting Gold Tip XT5575"s.Bad part is I only found three drops of blood after I watched her walk(slowly)100 yard and then she went into the woods.Never found her.It's just been a big mystery to me,what the heck happened.These arrows are about five years old(long story why) and this was the first deer I've ever shot with this bow and carbon arrows.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:01 PM
Fork Horn

Did you check the arrows for anything out of the ordinary? liike crack, or splintering?
Old 10-24-2009, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot a lot of target practice with them and never had a problem,it just snapped and the top was about an inch inside the deer.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

sounds like you said you left a dead deer in the woods
Old 10-24-2009, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

carbon arrows break all the time when you shoot deer and its not a complete pass through, sucks that you didnt find her though =\
Old 10-24-2009, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Quartering toward you is not a good shot selection. That's problem no.1. Whether the arrow is carbon or aluminum is irrelavent. Arrow often break when twisted or forced to bend beyond there limits by twisting muscles and bones, just like Bowhunter28 said.

You aid the broadhead passed through. The fletch end did not. No blood trailand no deer would suggest that the shot missed the vital lung/heart area.

To you the arrow may have entered the deer in line with the vitals. However, if the arrow it bone then it could have been deflected badly, missing the vitals. When arrows hit bone all bets are off.

Better shot selection and more patience is the key.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not the shot I wanted but it was all I had,I watched the path she walked and both my cousin and I never found blood.I think it did deflect really bad.I walked the woods she went in for two hours and never picked up her blood trail again.I know where she hangs out I hope to see she made it.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by FlDeerman
Not the shot I wanted but it was all I had.
That's where self discipline enters into the picture. Something you normally learn with age and experience.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:17 AM
Fork Horn

I had an Easton FMJ break on me 2 weeks ago. was shooting a doe, and I hit her a little low on a good downward angle, hit the heart, and must have hit the sternum. When I went to look for the arrow all I found was the back half, with no blood on it at all. Never found the front half. Massive blood trail, she only made it 20 yards.