Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Please help me find a good stand

Old 10-23-2009, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let me start by saying that it is very hard to "pick" a spot just from the map. With that being said, I always start my scouting process looking at topo and aerial maps first. I identify several spots I want to look at and get an idea of what I think might be happening and then I go put my boots on the ground. Based on that, I have picked out several spots that I would go look into if this was new ground I was going to hunt, as well as a quick explanation of why I am looking at those specific spots.

1. The deer could be using this cover to move between the timber and the fields. If that is the case, this could be an awesome evening location.

2. Same as #1. I picked these spots as 1 and 2 just because it would be very quick and easy to slide in and tell if it would be worth while to hunt.

3. It appear this is some of the thicker cover on your property and it also appears from the aerial that there is a creek or ditch running thru it. If that is the case, the deer (bucks) like to use terrain features like this to travel while searching for does. Get in there with the right wind and you very well catch a good buck cruising here in a few weeks. Very similar to my favorite stand location here in Illinois.

4. It looks that there could be two creeks or ditches or water sheds connecting here. Again features that deer like to use to travel and with two creeks meeting, it could be a gre 360 stand.

5. It appears that this cover is thicker that the rest of the timber around it. One piece of the thick timber goes east, why the other goes north. Could be used as a travel route for deer accessing the fields to the east and north.

6. Same as 5.

Good luck and keep us posted. Please remember, without time in the stand, you will never learn your property well or connect on a deer..

Old 10-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Typical Buck

let some arrows rip at some turkeys
Old 10-25-2009, 06:56 PM
Spike

Thanks for all the help guys. And marlin like you said this is an amazing spot for turkeys, i let it rip alrite. already got my limit on fall birds w a bow here because i see turkeys everytime out. weird that i never even bump deer or anything though. not a one yet. and like some of you guys said in the beginning posts that strip of land connecting the two fields on the left middle side of the map seems like a great spot, but theres some problems. It borders another hunters land and im worried about getting chewed out (big problem here....guys love posting property) and theres tons of sign and trails, beds, rubs and scrapes but the brush is too thick and tall for a ground blind but the trees are too small for a stand. any ideas?