Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bucks are starting to chase does

Old 10-16-2009, 04:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bucks are starting to chase does

Last Tuesday (October 13) I was hunting in western Wisconsin and I had a doe at about 20 yards for about 1/2 hours. Just before sunset I hear that wonderful sound of a grunting buck. Here comes a nice little basket 8 point through the brush. Once the buck was about 10 yards from the doe, the chase was on...right on her behind around and around. The chase was around me for about 3 minutes then it was off to the open field.

On Wednesday , I drove to Michigan to bowhunt for four days. On Thursday evening I was setup on a plateau of oak trees. The acorn crop is unbelievable this year. (Minnesota, Michigan and Wisconsin)

I was watching a few deer feeding around me about 1/2 hour before sunset, when I heard deer running my way. First came a doe and two fawns followed by a lone doe. Then five bucks came right past me between 10 and 20 yards. One of the bucks was grunting and started pestering the doe with the two fawns. Then it was off to the races again as the frisky buck started chasing the doe around the oak plateau.

This morning I went back to the same spot and had a doe and a fawn feeding about 25 yards away. I could see a buck walking at a brisk pace right to the doe with his head lowered. Once he was about 10 yards from the doe, the doe took off on a full run with the buck about 3 feet behind her. None of the bucks were of really any size.

I love this time of year.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:32 PM
Fork Horn

I agree they are starting. Last Sunday the 11th I had a 3-1/2 year old 8 point under my stand for 10 minutes. A lone doe started coming down off the ridge and stopped. I watched them both looking at each other for several minutes when I notice the buck put his head down and do a lip curl. Then he was off chasing. I believe it's still early. I believe you will see most of the chasing starting the middle of next week. Primetime is upon us guys. Good Luck!
Old 10-16-2009, 04:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wow,that seems really early.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

This is by far the earliest I have seen this type of activity too.

Correction...one time I saw a very large buck chasing a very large doe on October 8. It is my understanding that the oldest most mature doe experience a short estrous cycle about a month before the real deal.

What has me puzzled is that the three different does the bucks were chasing didn't look particularly large or mature. Something is going on.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I'm in PA as well and there is absolutely nothing yet. Does are still in the fields in groups with no bucks. And I just spotted tonight and saw two good size bucks together. If they were chasing they wouldnt be hanging out together.. thats for sure.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:07 PM
Spike

In WV definitely still early. But I have had a couple buddies tell me they saw scraps last week. The almanac is calling for a bitter winter, could be a sign it maybe right. We are looking at 32 degrees in the morning and not get out of the 30's tomorrow, but back in the 50's and 60's next week.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well in DE its still a little early usally NOV. 5-7th is always good, But i can honestly say that the deer activity has been up along with the sitting od big bucks, I think its cause of the early cold temputures, and IMO the weather has alot to to with rut activity..Im just going to sit and wait for one of the Big boys to make a mistake early this year.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I havent seen any chasing at all. The bucks just seperated and the does just weaned the fawns. Give it 2-3 weeks and youll see some real chasing.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Last year we hunted Oklahoma and found bucks chasing does early Nov, we hope this year is the same. My hunting buddy and I have a trip 9 day hunting trip starting Nov 2nd.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by fingerz42
Well I'm in PA as well and there is absolutely nothing yet. If they were chasing they wouldnt be hanging out together.. thats for sure.
This is not always the case. I have seen more than one buck chasing a hot doe several times in the past. But yes, I haven't seen anything resembling pre-rut behavior as of yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.