Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Look at this arrow (important lesson)

Old 10-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing makes friends more happy than seeing your recover your deer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey I was having a blast blood trailing that Doe with you and K.
It really was a learning experience.

Accept for that guy that was driving around to hunter parking lots trying to pickup a women hunter... the real wiedos in the woods come out after dark

The best part was
The blood trails circles around in it.... and now the blood sign is very light. Deb circles around the other side of the brairs and there is the doe. Laying stone cold dead.
Christine says " I have blood leading this way" as I am standing on the other side of the horse weeds I have already seen her Doe laying there dead....... So I decide a little humor was in order
I said well then why dont we go ahead and get your doe laying over here dead before we go after that blood trailHAAAAA
She didnt believe me at first and thought I was playing a cruel joke on her.

I will gladly cash in those 10 free lunches in exchange for an agreement that you never share that photo you took of my backside as I was cleaning the blood off of Louie's Doe's Mouth for the picture... wait that sounded kinda kinky... oh well
Old 10-06-2009, 08:31 PM
Spike

You ladies sound like you have alot of fun. Keep it up!
Old 10-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Fork Horn

well done and congrats. wish i could get my wife yo hunt ok maybe not cuz she likes to show me up and is good at it.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have to agree with what others have stated here and congrats on your recovery! I am very much puzzled at why no hair was found where the shot was taken or on any of the bushes that she busted threw trying to get away.. IMO an exit shot like that surely should of left quite a bit of hair as well.. I am thinking perhaps when she took of that the leaves may have been kicked up which covered any hair on the ground. I make it a practice to move the leaves around a bit when checking for hair I have seen this happen more than once.. Recovery is the most important part of the hunt once a shot has been made..
Old 10-07-2009, 12:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well done. Congrats! Great story, good pics and a very valuable lesson/reminder to always make certain. I really enjoyed reading this. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

That is something. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 10-07-2009, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure the "use the right pin" is the lesson here. You said very steep angle, 11 yards on the range finder. "

Combine these two and you get a less than 10 yard shot. Most bows a 10 yard shot with a 20 yard pin is close, the "very steep" part I think was the issue. When you bend things to get a good sight picture with a steep angle it is very hard/impossible to keep the nice "T" form we all have on flat ground. The end result is usually dropping the bow arm down rather than bending at the waist, this often times results in a higher than expected impact point.

It's something you need to try to see how it effects you and how much.

Congrats on the deer and on finding it, great job!
Old 10-07-2009, 06:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Way to go Christine!!! Awesome recovery!
Old 10-07-2009, 07:39 AM
Typical Buck

awesome!!!
Old 10-07-2009, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen similar situations. I just shot a small doe at 15 yards and when I got to the arrow (stuck in the ground) there was very little blood on it and the feathers were clean. There was a small amount of blood on the ground. I had to mostly go by memory as where I thought the deer went and look for fresh tracks and ground scuffing. The deer crossed a narrow grassy roadway and went back into the woods. My Dad found the deer about 20 yards into the woods, a good blood trail only started 5 yards from the deer. The deer was laying in a pool of blood with bubbles from the lung hit covering the exit wound. The shot was a text book pass thru and the entrance and exit holes were big. I think the arrow is an indicator but don't let it fool you. If you feel you made a good hit and if you have a blood trail or fresh track keep going.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.