Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spooked buck what do ya think??

Old 10-06-2009, 06:05 AM
Fork Horn

Question Spooked buck what do ya think??

The last 2 nights I have encountered a 130 inch 8pnt. On the first night he was in the been field that I walked into after leaving my stand he did not see me even though he was 25 yards anyway I drew on him and could not see him however, I could not pick him up in my sights. I didn’t know where he came from to get into the field but I felt that I knew where he entered the field. So last night I went and set up for where I though he entered the field, well I was wrong and he entered 10 yards away from me and I was already down from the climber having given up on him! Well he didn’t notice me at first but then at once he seemed to notice me he stared at me and then made a short blow as he trotted out in front of me from my side. He then stared in my direction and walked to about 80 yards away and stared at me and went back to eating beans. What do you guys think did I spook him bad? Do you think he will be back? I’m gunna stay away from the spot for a day or two but I have the perfect stand for him!!
Old 10-06-2009, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't sound like ya bothered him much. He'll stick around. Deer are home bodys after all. He may change his pattern, BUT he'll still be in the same area.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Doesn't sound like he boogered too bad. I would lay off him for a bit though, he knows somethings up in that area, and may be more skittish that usual. You may have to also change your tactics a little, i.e. getting into stand earlier, and leaving when it FULL dark, especially if you aren't sure he is around. Sounds like he's a night owl as it is, if you get down later, there will be less chance of encountering him when he is on his way into the field.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:04 AM
Spike

no he isnt spooked if he went backed to eatin beans...jus give him a few days like mike said and then play your wind PERFECTLY...he knew somethin was up if you spook him again he may find beans elsewhere...you should be alright though
Old 10-06-2009, 08:57 AM
Typical Buck

i agree, time to let him mellow out a bit, as he will be watching that field edge a bit more, you have options, it isn't the end of the world at all

perhaps set up on the opposite side of the field he is coming from, just to do some survelliance on him, before picking out where and how he is coming up

also, something to consider, what of hunting a bit further down in the woods he is coming up from, you may be able to go deeper and see him during his transition from bed to dinner...look for a good staging area
Old 10-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys i know where he is coming from and he is coming off of someone elses property across an open pasture to get to a fence row that seperates the pasture and the beans.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Fork Horn

Ya, let that spot cool off for a while.