Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

It was awful Bucky in my woods today !!!

Old 10-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default It was awful Bucky in my woods today !!!

I went up to do some last minute checking on some traffic in my NY woods. I normally like to set my bow hooks, bow ropes, etc on the last remaining stands. As I was approaching one stand I noticed one scrape, then another and another...needless it had the smell of musk all around the area (about 200 yard or so!).

All in all I had about 20 plus rubs (one at the small tree at the base of the stand) and 9 scrapes !!! All open....

This has to be the earliest for me that I have seen this type of sign.....how about you ??
Old 10-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice, when's the season open in NY. I think I read where it's in less than 2 weeks?

Good sign for sure, early? Yes to some extent. Mature bucks can/will scrape in August. Rubs? Sure anytime after velvet sheds off. Last night I was trapped in a tree with 2 bucks sparing, eating, sparing, licking each other, sparing.

I didn't see any scrapes or rubs going into or out of either spot though. Good luck up there.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Always nice to run into fresh sign! What part of NY do you hunt in?

shane
Old 10-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Typical Buck

October 17th is the opener. I also checked on the 2 acre Shot Plot and they smoked it right down to the stem !!! Not one leaf was left. The trails coming into that plot are pounded...should be an interesting year there.

I did see two small bucks chasing and sparring as well Saturday Morning.

Originally Posted by Rob/PA Bowyer
Nice, when's the season open in NY. I think I read where it's in less than 2 weeks?

Good sign for sure, early? Yes to some extent. Mature bucks can/will scrape in August. Rubs? Sure anytime after velvet sheds off. Last night I was trapped in a tree with 2 bucks sparing, eating, sparing, licking each other, sparing.

I didn't see any scrapes or rubs going into or out of either spot though. Good luck up there.
Chautauqua County, as far west as you can go
Originally Posted by sr77
Always nice to run into fresh sign! What part of NY do you hunt in?

shane
Old 10-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in KY I am noticing alot of early sign. Me and a friend already found HUGE rubs and rublines, scrapes everywhere. We both have been seeing bucks chasing does hardcore, and he shot a doe this evening that smelled like a rutting buck lol This season just keeps getting more interesting.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:52 AM
Fork Horn

I seen the same thing this weekend in Missouri and I did smell it too.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:42 AM
Fork Horn

Yup...been seeing rubs and scraped at least the last 2-3 weeks...found a new scrape with some decent rubs nearby the other day...put my camera near it to see who's visiting...on a small ridge inbetween two of our stand spots...and it's a ridge where we almost always see a big buck during the year. I saw 2 nice ones, separate times, on the property we hunt, but haven't seen them since or gotten them on camera, yet. Once the corn gets cut, things will really get good! Gotten lots of small bucks on camera though...going to be a good year I think.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Western PA, starting to notice more scrapes. Just secured a new little piece of property to hunt on that sits right between the bedding and food. Yeah me!!
Old 10-05-2009, 06:42 AM
Fork Horn

I too have scrapes open in upstate central NY Yeah it is early. Usually around the the 15th I see it.