Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Treestand broke while I was in it (Pictures added)

Old 10-02-2009, 05:33 AM
Spike

Yes, you are right, after a fall in any safety harness and you are supposed to replace them. Can you post some pictures of the stand and what failed on it? I have 4 gorilla's.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

good too hear u ok i know i feel alot better when i have my harness on
Old 10-02-2009, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mfd1027
Wow!! Close call for sure. Glad your OK. How did the vest hold up. Did you actually free fall? Just wondering. I think the instructions on the vests call for a replacement if you do experience a fall.

Good luck with Magnum 8.

Dan
I didn't free fall. The stand only dropped a few inches because only one cable broke and there was a small limb, about the size of your finger, directly under the platform. I know a few inches doesn't sound like much but when your standing there and it gives, even if it's just a few inches, it scares the life out of you. The worst part is, I thought about it afterwards and I didn't have the safety vest hooked to the tree right when I got in, so that also emphasises the point of being hooked up as soon as you leave the ground. I will try to post pics of the stand after work.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 10-02-2009, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad you are safe. Thanks for posting. Never enough reminders to wear your harness.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Glad you are ok Jim.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:12 AM
Typical Buck

Pastor Jim glad you are uninjured, i have had stands "settle" and it will definately get your attention.
i really like my summit harness because of the attachment to the tree has rope that loops around tree and that has a prussic knot that slides so you can stay attached all the way up and down.
again glad you are uninjured.
BE SAFE OUT THERE EVERYONE.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:35 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by PastorJim08
Opening morning of Indiana's bow season broke frosty and cold, one of the best opening days, weather-wise, I can remember. In stand about two hours when I heard a loud pop and felt the earth moved under my feet. A cable had broken on my treestand. I hadn't worn a safty vest for years until about two years ago, when, at my wife's insistance, I began wearing an HSS vest. Since, I have never hunted without it. Glad I had it on that morning. You can be careful, as I always was, but you can't do anything about equipment failure which is sudden and without warning. Evening hunt produced a sighting of a deer that I have been getting pictures of all summer that I call the magnum 8. I saw him in his bed for over an hour in the evening until he finally got up and walked off in the opposite direction. Now that I know where he is bedding, I will try to devise a strategy that will give him a ride in the back of my truck in the very near future. Here is a picture of him from this summer.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
What kind of stand was it?
Old 10-02-2009, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Glad to hear you're OK. It will be interesting to see those pics. I'd definitely be calling the company on that one. Had things been different you could be in bad shape right now.

Stay safe.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will be inspecting my stands cables from now on as well. You are very fortunate that you were wearing your harness. Everyone should always think about there families and loved ones when doing anything that could end with a bad outcome. Stay safe.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am glad you are ok, that would make the heart skip a beat or two.

Shane

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.