Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tracking Dog...question..?

Old 09-28-2009, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tracking Dog...question..?

NO I did not shoot a deer. I am just wondering if there are any websites based around training a dog to being a good tracker??

I dont have a dog right now but am thinking that whenever I do get one it will either run rabbits or blood trails??
Old 09-28-2009, 04:53 PM
Typical Buck

READ THIS BOOK BEFORE YOU BUY A DOG FOR TRACKING!!! Tracking Dogs for Finding Wounded Deer by John Jeanneney. He is also the head of NY deersearch and considered to be the leading authority on tracking dogs. The book will tell you everything you need to know and what breeds are best to handle. I am reading the book right now. Google it and you can buy it online for like 25 bucks.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by rh160kid
READ THIS BOOK BEFORE YOU BUY A DOG FOR TRACKING!!! Tracking Dogs for Finding Wounded Deer by John Jeanneney. He is also the head of NY deersearch and considered to be the leading authority on tracking dogs. The book will tell you everything you need to know and what breeds are best to handle. I am reading the book right now. Google it and you can buy it online for like 25 bucks.

Excellent advice. Nice.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:06 PM
Typical Buck

After you read John's book come and join http://www.unitedbloodtrackers.org/ . We have over 100 members from novice trackers to guru's (like John) and everything in between. Everybody is very forthcoming with their experiences and knowledge and you don't need a dog to join. We offer several tracking workshop's per year in different geographic locations where we get together to train, work out problems and share experience's. We sell John's books in the online store but they're a little more than 25.00 because we're always trying to raise money to help the cause. We provide aid to members attempting to have Tracking Dog Legislation passed in state's that currently do not have such legislation. There's also a Breeder's Forum just in case you do decide to make the plunge. BTW- the photo of a Bavarian Mountain Hound in John's second edition is my dog "Vars".

Dan