Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

NEED ADVICE!!! New to bowhunting as wel as huntingnet.com

Old 09-25-2009, 10:29 AM
Spike

Welcome to the forums first of all, and i just purchased my first bow this season after 6 years of rifle hunting, had around the same price range as you and for $575 (including ready to shoot bow, arrows, and a cheap target, and release) i got the PSE RTS Stinger and love it, get the 50-60# set up and its a bow you will have for a long time if you take care of.

P.S. It comes with a whisker biscuit(could always change this out based on preference), quiver, site, nockin loop, string silencer.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowpkg2.htm <<< another good option.

Goodluck
Old 09-25-2009, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive had 3 whisker bisquet rests on 3 different bows, killed alotta game w/ all of em. My WBs never let me down, very simple and very reliable, but to each his own. I do recommend a single pin sight as well though, again very simple and reliable & good for a beginner. If I was gonna buy a bow in the 400$ range, I would seriously look at the martin bengal, it has alot of nice features for the price.

Last edited by DeerandbearhoG; 09-25-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

All the bows the guys mentioned so far would be good for your price range but the most important thing is to go somewhere and shoot them and make sure you feel comfortable with the bow and setup you choose. Good luck!!
Old 09-25-2009, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

In Cabelas, or bass pro you can get some great Bow Setups For Price like that, I would say the best you can get for your money tho would be a parker, Go Online and look or order you some free catalogs and look around
Old 09-28-2009, 04:33 PM
Fork Horn

If your considering the whisker biscuit to keep your arrow from falling off your rest, I would definitely look into the QAD rests...full containment and they drop away and have zero arrow friction. I shot the WB for about 4 weeks one summer when I bought my new Allegiance, and just wasn't too impressed....but that's just my opinion. You need to shoot what you like.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:17 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats on starting bow hunting!!

You should go to a local archery shop and see what they have to offer. Not only will you have a contact/bow technician that you can talk to when you need advice, but also get your bow setup correctly for you. (which is what your looking to do right) :-)

There is a multitude of info on this site, use it well!! But also go find a local shop, they are eager to help!!!
Old 09-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Start a account on acherytalk.com there classafieds are great..they have tons of bows over there, already set up or bare bow..Good luck and welcome to the boards!

Thanks
-NICK
Old 09-28-2009, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hmthtrfan
Congrats on starting bow hunting!!

You should go to a local archery shop and see what they have to offer. Not only will you have a contact/bow technician that you can talk to when you need advice, but also get your bow setup correctly for you. (which is what your looking to do right) :-)

There is a multitude of info on this site, use it well!! But also go find a local shop, they are eager to help!!!
I agree on archery shop but that can be a nightmare as well, just cause its an archery shop doesnt mean they know what they are doing, or the advice they give can be wrong.
I have been doing this for around 30 years with 20 of that being real serious. Some archery shops are dumber than dirt.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dmounts
If your considering the whisker biscuit to keep your arrow from falling off your rest, I would definitely look into the QAD rests...full containment and they drop away and have zero arrow friction. I shot the WB for about 4 weeks one summer when I bought my new Allegiance, and just wasn't too impressed....but that's just my opinion. You need to shoot what you like.
Bingo that QAD is a bad mutha, I dont own one I have a drop zone but that QAD is the bomb. If I was buying thats what I would purchase.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:17 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by zrexpilot
I agree on archery shop but that can be a nightmare as well, just cause its an archery shop doesnt mean they know what they are doing, or the advice they give can be wrong.
I have been doing this for around 30 years with 20 of that being real serious. Some archery shops are dumber than dirt.
I am not saying that some shops are not that educated or reliable, but the majority can greatly help an "up and comer" get started properly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.