Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

arrow cost 20 a arrow what the heck

Old 09-23-2009, 12:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know i did not know i was going to be getting anything till a week ago. Some things changed and freed up the cash. It will be ready or i will not hunt. My plan is to hopefully have them late tomorrow but properly friday afternoon. Then be shooting to set my field of view, 20, and 30, yard pins then hopefully monday or tuesday afternoon set my 40, 50, and 60, properly keep it under 40 unless i am getting great groups at 60 though i never plain to shoot one that far i want to be ready and able to
Originally Posted by The Outdoorsman
Honestly, with the way the economy is today, anywhere you can save some money is the best way to go and in doing that you will have to do some things yourself. The more you know who to do things the less you have to depend on others especially when its crunch time. You could have 6 arrows done in one hour if you had the tools and know-how to assemble them instead of waiting all this time and it would give you more time on the range to get everything sighted in and adjusted.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:15 PM
Spike

Default Find a Local Pro Shop NOT GANDER OR CABELAS

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
Went to gander to day to spend some money. They had my sight i wanted for the same a cabelas and the other places i looked and mounted if for free. The glendale full rut was the same aswell so bought it. The rangefinder also the same price. heres my issue They wanted 80 bucks for a 6 pack of the carbon express maxima hunters cabelas is 139 for 12. I bought 12 or was planning on it. he asked if i had a arrow with me i did in my case. I told him to take the blazer vanes off and replace them with the quikspin st speed hunters. God there little vanes. He told me it would cost 20 for the vanes which i knew. then when i got ready to leave i asked if he wanted me to pay for the arrows now or when i pick them up. he told me just to wait. Then he says it will be a week. Which made me mad he started at two weeks then after i set it up and then go to pay for the sight and target he says a week because he got more work in after me.
Then he tells me 1.00 to cut and glue in the insert. Which i could take. Then he tells me a price of 3.00 a piece to fleatch them.
Does it really cost 36 dollars to have 12 arrows fleatched. That 160 for the arrows 20 to high. 36 for fleatching 20 for the quikspins and 12 for the cutting and inserts. Thats 20.10 dollars a arrow.
I am sure the fleatch price is high seems it cost me 40 bucks to have 10 done last year with the quikspins. and the guy charged me to much for the vanes cause they where loose and not a package as i did not need enough for 2 dozen arrows.
What you need is to find a local pro shop one that is owned and operated by the same guy who you talk to at the counter. I know they are becoming hard to find but these guys are AMAZING, not to mention they aren't out to price gouge you. The problem with Gander and Cabelas is that they hire people who bow hunt or can answer some basic questions whereas the local pro shops have been doing it for 20 or 30 years.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:18 PM
Spike

You guys are right....I used to have my arrows re-fletched every year by the local sport shop and got sick of getting hit hard with the prices...Last year i bought my own fletching jig and it works great [Although I can only fletch 1 arrow at a time] it was well worth it...It is alot easier than you might think...you can pick your color and length, as well as work on them in the evenings...Just buy your vanes in bulk such as a 50-100 pack of one color and another pack of another color and you are set for years...If you have carbon arrows you must use a special glue for carbon arrows, or they will not stick for long...also, you should use hot glue for your inserts or they will come out...like they said...buy raw shafts, a few packages of fletching, hot glue, a fletching jig, some nocks and inserts, and you will save big bucks for years to come and enjoy doing it on your own...It's pretty easy after you try it...Don't always follow all that hype about the newest big thing that year [you need nothing more than average carbon shafts, quality fletching, and good broadheads to kill a deer.....period.