Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stolen

Old 05-19-2003, 07:24 AM

Default Stolen

As many times as I have read about stolen tree stands, cameras etc., I never thought it would happen to me on my own property. Well, it did. They took everything they could and destroyed what was left. I just cannot beleive it, 3 tree stands gone, all my natural ground blinds destroyed. Why anyone would do this is beyond me.

Oh well, I guess the days of hunter respect are gone. I would have never thought that I would have to lock things up on my own property.

The one thing that I know for sure---- Backyard justice is alive and well on my farm. When i find out who did this, there will be no need to call the law. Rock salt worked well on me when I was a kid, it will work well on the kids that did this.

Ok, thanks for letting me vent.

hunt on hunt hard eat well
Old 05-19-2003, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Stolen

chef, sorry to hear of your misfortune. I have had similar experiences. I haved learned to remove stands after every season. Are you sure you don' t have any anti-hunter neighbors? It seemes weird that a hunter would ruin natural ground blinds. Sounds like it was someone who is against hunting.
Old 05-19-2003, 09:55 AM
Banned

Rock salt worked well on me when I was a kid, it will work well on the kids that did this.
R you sure that it was kids that did it? I know plenty of adults that would back stab people and take stands. It also might be some anti hunters in your area.
I take down my stands every year for the last few years becuase we have been havin trouble with poachers and afraid they will take our stands. If your brave enuogh you can get a trail camera and set it up close to a stand. When they come to get the stand you will have them on film. Just hide the camera so they wont see it. Thats how we caught Trespassers on our land
Old 05-19-2003, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you need to be making believers out of some folks if you catch them. That scenario scares the **** out of me in all honesty. I know if I caught someone on my land stealing or poaching, with my temper being what it is, I would be the one most likely to end up in jail. Oh well it wouldn' t be the first time. If you catch them, break them from the habit.
Old 05-19-2003, 10:20 AM

sorry to hear of your misfourtune!, but what bothers me is why would they destroy natural ground blinds? maybe anti' s at work? this day and age you have to lock up everything!

Old 05-19-2003, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

If your brave enuogh you can get a trail camera and set it up close to a stand. When they come to get the stand you will have them on film. Just hide the camera so they wont see it. Thats how we caught Trespassers on our land
Just wondering how you were able to hide it so they couldn' t see it. Doesn' t it make noise and reset itself and keep taking pictures. Does it not flash? I am asking because I would like to try to secure a cabin that I have in nowheresville, and was thinking along the same lines by putting one in the driveway so at least I could get liscence plate numbers from vehicles entering the driveway. But I see a lot of problems with the idea.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:24 AM
Banned

What we did was put the camera on a tree and pilled brush up Right infront of the camera. We then moved the brush around so that only the Lense of the camera was showing. I had to go into the setup and change the camera so that it didnt flash. The camera didnt make noise when it took pictures, the only time it makes noise is when the film runs out and rewinds itself. We had it set up so it was on a 5 min delay, meaning that it will only take pictures every 5 minutes if something is infront of it. It is actually my cousins camera. We took it out on the farm last season and set it up where we knew the people would come in. We got a few pictures of their faces and one of their license plate. It seemed to work very well for us.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:20 PM

That makes me sick.

I would never condone violence, but Cabelas sells a grizzly bear trap. It weighs 50 lbs. No one will walk away after stepping in it. They are expensive but shucks you can borrow mine.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:52 PM

I feel your pain Chef, i' ve had stands stolen on public ground a few times. I always keep em locked up good now and take em down right after the season ends, seems nowdays nobodys safe. Best of luck catching em' .
Old 05-19-2003, 06:56 PM

Lost a treestand once on private property that I was the only one who had permission to hunt. I had it secured with a cable. They chopped through the cable with an ax.

Quick Reply: Stolen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.