Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Musk ox hunt...above the Artic Circle

Old 09-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Musk ox hunt...above the Artic Circle

Ok Ladies and Gents,

Sorry for the delay. I've never used this website to host writings-hope it works.

Here's a link to my most recent trip. It was certainly filled with ups and downs. Enjoy!

http://www.scribd.com/doc/19855334/m...ria-Island-NWT
Old 09-17-2009, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome, never knew that they were that tough to penetrate with an arrow with quality broadheads. Did you get to bring meat home, or only get to eat some of it there?
Old 09-17-2009, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

After reading (wish I had found the zoom feature earlier) it's easy to understand how such a trip could be so rewarding yet not quite complete. I always look forward to all the photos that accompany your write ups. I'm sure not getting that chance to document your trip was quite a dissappointment.

Congrats on the beast though!
Old 09-17-2009, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

The meat was left with the Inuit community, all 500 of them. The wool on these critters is like the stuff used to fill bag targets. It stops arrows quickly. I was concerned going into the hunt but I thought the 3:1 Snuffer was the proper choice. Maybe a two blade would have been better... Then again, the 70 and 74 pound compounds had their difficulties. I don't know...

Wallhanger,

It's not like me to complain (sort of feel like a frat boy crying over spilled milk), but man, I went a long way and paid a lot of hard earned money. The outfitter knew from the begin that hunting was only half my purpose for being there. I guess he didn't relay that info to his two guides. Don't get me wrong, the guides were awesome-we had some great laughs! They just didn't have the desire to do anything other than sit in camp and have coffee.

If I were to do this hunt again, I would only pay 50% up front and trust fund the balance. If the hunt didn't go as negotiated, I'd get my money back. Island time sucks!
Old 09-17-2009, 02:33 PM
bigcountry

Is the meat good? Or was it too much a hassle to bring back?

Old 09-17-2009, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats, i hear they are very difficult animals to get..

Congrats..

-NICK
Old 09-17-2009, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome write up and the pics were great. That is one tough animal, couldn't believe the penetration issues even with modern day compounds, very hearty animal. Congrats to both of you on your muskox, awesome trophies!

Shane
Old 09-17-2009, 03:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Will, great story regardless and congratulations my friend. One of these days, one of these days.

Now, I know your photographs, I know they are outstanding and I'm assuming that hosting site isn't doing them justice except for the incredible Arctic Fox. Gorgeous.

Will, again, congratulations and thank you for sharing them with your friends at HNI.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Quite the adventure! Thanks for story and awesome pics. That will be a nice addition to your trophy wall.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Will , another great success story . You write with a real passion , love reading your stories everytime and your pictures amaze me ..... especially the Arctic Fox WOW , just beautiful .

Thanks for sharing mate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.