Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

please help me with bow hunting

Old 09-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Spike

Default please help me with bow hunting

hey guys im 14 and 2 years ago dad bought me a psc bow. now this year is my year. i was wondering if yall had any ideals about how to help me to get my first deer with my bow? thank yall.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:29 AM
Spike

You might have better luck if you post this in the Bowhunting section of the forums. I believe they could help you out a lot more there.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:34 AM
Spike

hahaha lol im sorry guys im new lol.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are no shortcuts.
Cover your face and hands. Hunt downwind of the trail. Get back off the field edges. Shower often and keep your clothes clean.
Spend a lot of time in the woods. Practice your shooting at unknown ranges.
Don't take a questionable shot. There is honor in passing up a shot on a deer. There is no honor in wounding one.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:29 AM
Typical Buck

like wing bone said, practice shooting at unknown ranges, or better yet just practice if you have the time 15 to 20 mins a day wont hurt anything. and to me most important of all is patience!!
Old 09-18-2009, 08:26 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Wingbone
There is no honor in wounding one.
Never heard that statement before, but dont think there is a statement that is more true.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Moved to the bowhunting section for some more help...
Old 09-18-2009, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

Practice.....from the ground and from a tree stand. Study the deer anatomy so you uderstand where to hit and why. Use a 'deer' target if one is available...it will help you understand where to shoot to hit the vitals and how to avoid the shoulder blade ( Practice shooting to avoid the shoulder blade....the arrow will seldom pass through the shoulder blade...I emphasize this as last year was my first year, and I lost one because I hit the shoulder blade)
- When in a tree stand, you need to visualize where you want the arrow to exit the deer, and aim for a spot to make this exit wound happen (above the planned exit wound), otherwise your shot will be too low.
- stay alert in the tree stand, for the deer will appear when you are least expecting them.
- Wait for a real good shot....there are few worse feelings then wounding a deer that you can't recover.
- If you do take a bad shot and can not recover the deer, learn from your mistake. It happens to most bowhunters atleast once.
- Enjoy the nature around you as you wait for the deer to arrive:-)
Old 09-18-2009, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cynikalHC
Never heard that statement before, but dont think there is a statement that is more true.

There would be no honor in wounding a deer if the shot was at a poor angle, or if you had put in no practice with your equipment etc. To say that there is no honor in wounding an animal does a disservice to all the hunters that have lost a deer for highly legititmate reasons like unexpected equipment failure or over reactive deer jumping a string etc. I would never want to brag about the deer I wounded in a situation like that but to question a hunters honor when he wounds a deer yet did everything right (deer gods just were not smiling down on the hunter) is just a little harsh in my opinion.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by teedub31
There would be no honor in wounding a deer if the shot was at a poor angle, or if you had put in no practice with your equipment etc. To say that there is no honor in wounding an animal does a disservice to all the hunters that have lost a deer for highly legititmate reasons like unexpected equipment failure or over reactive deer jumping a string etc. I would never want to brag about the deer I wounded in a situation like that but to question a hunters honor when he wounds a deer yet did everything right (deer gods just were not smiling down on the hunter) is just a little harsh in my opinion.
Doesn't sound harsh to me at all. He's not saying that if you wound one you're some kind of loser. He's just saying that passing on a questionable shot is something to be proud of and that wounding one because you took a questionable shot is definitely not something to be proud of.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.