Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mock Scrapes?

Old 09-15-2009, 04:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Mock Scrapes?

So when is a good time to start making mock scrapes? Is it too early to start now?
Old 09-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nope.......found three scrapes and a lot of rubs so far. Ground was torn up and the licking branches were broke. This morning I had a buck we called grape eight come into light rattling and rubbed a tree about sixty yards away. It made my morning.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by BigDaddy12t
So when is a good time to start making mock scrapes? Is it too early to start now?
Honestly, save your money and your time. Don't stink up the woods with artificle junk. HUNT the deer. Learn their patterns. Find the food. Don't go stinking up the place. Mock scrapes were invented by someone trying to sell you a bottle of imitation junk supposedly designed to fool the smartest nose in the woods. Guess who wins? Exactly, the guy selling the cow pee in a bottle. Go hunting.... forget the fooling business. Go Stinky Free as you can..
Old 09-16-2009, 05:58 AM
Spike

Now, I actually start in Aug. Don't have to buy anything. Rubber boots, rake and be done with it. It's great to get pics of bucks after they break out of the summer routine. Done it for years- you can pour water in the dirt area, or pee, or do nothing. Just made a new one two days ago. Do it in a spot that they'll visit at night- along a field edge and you don't bump deer. I've seen them get squirrely on camera occasionally though- so be careful with scent.