Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Couple random thoughts on asking permission...

Old 09-08-2009, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Couple random thoughts on asking permission...

Virginiashadow and I just got turned down on a incredible piece of property that he discovered. There are a couple of lessons learned here that can benefit others.

I attiribute our lack of success to a couple factors:

1. Always ask permission face-to-face. We tried our best on this one but the landowner was protected by hefty secretary lady that would not facilitate a face-to-face opportunity to ask permission. Brett even offered to put lotion on her feet but it didn't help...

2. Virginia law protects landowners from being sued by any recreational user to include hunters. I just learned this small but important fact today (after being turned down). This is the kind of info that can turn the tide of an 'asking' session if the landowner has liability concerns. Might be worth checking into your state's laws. I also have a release from liability form that I can email anyone who needs it - send me a PM with your email address.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just punch me in the face......... Oh well, my life of public land hunting continues. So is life.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

keep at it guys. My dad became a very good friend with a local farmer in upstate ny. He sees him every couple of days and buys fresh eggs and milk from him and just goes and spends time with him. They have become good friends. I met him a few years ago and go and see him when I get a chance. He has lots of deer on his property and he lets me and my dad hunt it. If you just develop a relationship with a land owner even just dropping by and keeping them company from time to time they will see that your a good person and will probably let you hunt the property.

Keep your heads up and keep trying to find an owner that is willing to let you hunt his property.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have tried everything in the books here in west michigan... No one will give you permission to hunt their property around here. And then the farmers complain to the state about crop damage?
Old 09-09-2009, 06:02 AM
Dominant Buck

I've never been granted permission via telephone or email. Check that.....once. It's a 4.5ac tract that's a pretty killer turkey spot....but my father in law knew the landowner (who lives 3 hrs from here).

I've never been DENIED permission when I went to ask face-to-face. I've got a little "system" I learned from a Joe Brooks book that works like a charm.

Sage advice given, above.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Getting permission to hunt is like hitting on women. The strategy that works great with one, will get you slapped in the face by another....
Old 09-09-2009, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

On the liability thing, I took out a personal liability policy through our insurance agent. It cost be a whopping $54 per year, and that will also protect the landowner against any money coming from them should something happen to me while i'm out there. Its gotten me permission on two spots after being denied for liability concerns.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by TheMiz54
keep at it guys. My dad became a very good friend .
There in lies the key. Desire good friends and opportunities may come but even if they don't good friends are the key to a happy life. Sooner or later a piece of land may give a friend the opportunity to say, I enjoy your company. Just knowing your here pleases me.

Your dads a wealthy man.