Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Guided VS Semi-Guided

Old 09-07-2009, 05:19 AM
Spike

Default Guided VS Semi-Guided

So I am debating which way to go here.......trying to decide...so I will ask for opions on this one......

I have never hunted the mid-west....and I am somewhat of an experienced hunter.....

If you had the choice of guided.....early season.....say around...Oct.5th......

or semi-guided.......rut....say around Nov.5th......

which would you choose.......

guided offers more stands...and all the nuts and bolts that come with your typical guided hunt.....lodging, food, scouting done, more stands hung...guide working with you..( not sitting with you )...ect....

semi-guided.....lodging, no food (that part doesnt concern me ).....you get a farm to hunt, around 5 stands pre-hung....and the rest is on you....

now keep in mind that I have never hunted like this before....I have set-up my own stands, but where I hunt is NOTHING like this type of hunting....I dont get to hunt big farms and such....

Price is almost the same either way....so that is not a determining factor....Thanks, Jay
Old 09-07-2009, 06:11 AM
Typical Buck

i would go with the semi guided one. First off its a better time to be hunting and you have a good chance to see bucks on their feet during daytime. Deer hunting is deer hunting pretty much. Be mobile and set up on fresh sign. I think the satisfaction of the do it yourself hunt will far outweigh the drop you off at a stand fully guided hunt. Wheres the sport in that?
Old 09-07-2009, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am doing a semi guided northern missouri deer hunt this year. It was cheaper, and honestly, I really don't want someone sitting over my shoulder telling me what deer to shoot. 120" minimum, that is what I will have to work with..

Honestly for your case, I would go guided early season. The guides know what is up, and food sources and travel routes will be your friend.. Go for it..
Old 09-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

I hate to comment on this since it is your hunt. I will say hunting the mid west during the rut is awesome!
Old 09-07-2009, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

SEMI-GUIDED...Woods is Woods imo, the mid-west has more hills and bigger Hardwoods, thats about it , Not to mention hunting OCT.5, or NOVEMBER in the RUT. you dont have to ask me twice, even if it ment takeing one of my days scouting it out and the hanging your stand that day..But the Semi-guided hunt would be the best imo..

-NICK
Old 09-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Typical Buck

Semi guided during the rut you cant beat it.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Spike

you'll see twice the deer in Nov. in the Midwest than you will in the beginning of Oct. You decide.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take the semi-guided in Nov. In early Oct you run the risk of getting 80 degree temps and not seeing much movement.