Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

mast crops?

Old 05-14-2003, 05:20 PM

Default mast crops?

i have a question about mast crops...i know that stands of acorns tend to be productive...my older brother tends to do the majority of his bowhunting around these areas...well where my dad and i hunt he had put me onto an area that looks like it could be productive this fall...its a transition area from bedding to feeding and is in a dip between two hillocks...it is lined with both whiteoaks, pin oaks and hickory nut trees...dad fairs well closer to the bedding area during general season and am told an uncle of mine took a very nice ten point in this draw years ago...it hasnt been hunted hardly since...question is this....

if the acorn crop doesnt produce but the hickory nuts are thick, do deer even touch hickory nuts? honestly ive been hunting since i was 5 or 6 and am now 28 but cant ever remember even a mention of hickory nut stands?? anyone have an opinion?
Old 05-14-2003, 08:43 PM

Default RE: mast crops?

My favorite bow stand is on a ridge next to the main run of a swamp populated with Chestnut Oaks. This ridge is infested with Hickory trees, but I' ve never seen any evidence of deer eating the Hickory Nuts.....They love the Chestnut Oak acorns though.......I just like to be in their path to the Oaks and that just happens to be in the Hickory grove.....
Old 05-14-2003, 09:04 PM

Good question, I don" t think so. [X(]I don' t know for sure and am currious about the answers you get. I will wait to see
Old 05-15-2003, 12:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have some Hickorys on my property and never seen them feed on them.One thing to remember is that if there is a poor mast crop(acorns)there' s always some trees that are dropping nuts.Find them and you' ll be on the deer because you can guarantee they' ll find ' em.