Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who showed you proper shooting style?

Old 05-14-2003, 10:41 AM

Default Who showed you proper shooting style?

Who showed you correct shooting style and how do you know it is correct? I hear all the time on these boards to use correct shooting style, but I see different shooting for different people.
Old 05-14-2003, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who showed you proper shooting style?

I can' t really say that anyone actually taught me how to shoot. When i started shooting a bow i just shot and watched other people and sort of developed my own style. Some people shoot with a slight bend in their bow arm and some don' t. After i fried my forearm several times i learned that the slight bend worked best for me. I try to keep my back straight and bend at the hips slightly when shooting which helps me alot. I practice all types of shooting positions standing, sitting, even on my knees from time to time. When in a stand i practice shooting lots of different angles because you never know when that buck of a lifetime will approach from an unexspected way like they usually will. I don' t know that my style is the correct style but i do know that it works for me. Everyone is different and probably shoot a little differently so i say whatever works for you and keeps you in the kill zone is the correct style. God Bless!
Old 05-14-2003, 01:22 PM

I learned how to shoot pretty much on my own during the early 70' s. I still shoot recurves with a very similar style. How do I know it' s the right form? I know because it works. There is no generic " right" form. There are variations of tried and true form techniques that promote consitency. Consistency is the name of the game and good form tends to force consistency in all aspects of the shot.

Positive back tension, a good line, a grip that suits the handle configuratiion and individual shot style, etc., all promote consistency. There is no " right" way of doing this thing we call archery, but some ways are a lot more likely to provide good results quicker than others and that' s all I got to say about that.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would say Byron Ferguson.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fred Bear about 30 years ago
Old 05-14-2003, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don' t know who the guy was, but he didn' t do a very good job. Bobby
Old 05-14-2003, 02:25 PM

The archery shop owner where I purchased my bow. " The Archery Clenic" in Hope Mills NC
Old 05-14-2003, 03:50 PM

I TAUGHT MYSELF. ONCE IN AWHILE I THINK THE TEACHER IS A TOTAL MORON.
Old 05-14-2003, 05:20 PM

I learned some of the basics from my dad and uncle, then I read a lot of magazine articles dealing with shooting form. I know it' s " proper shooting form" because it works for me! I have made small adjustments over the years that have greatly improved my shooting. 2 years ago I shortened my draw length by 2" ! That change alone made my form better and improved my shooting a ton.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:11 PM

When I first started bow hunting some 30 yrs ago, I really didnt have anyone to turn to for instruction. I kinda just did what came natural. I then ordered a book by Chuck Adams and put to use his instructions.

Through the years I have adapted and discarded many different techniques and suggestions from others.

Consistancy is what I strive for, but I am not opposed to trying something different.

Quick Reply: Who showed you proper shooting style?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.